1964 Pontiac GTO - best muscle cars
The original 1960s muscle car, the Pontiac GTO had amazing performance for its day
The Pontiac GTO is widely acknowledged as the car that really kicked off the 1960s Muscle Car era. It was initially offered as an optional package on the mid-size Pontiac Tempest and was the first truly mass-market high performance model to follow the big displacement engine route, using a tuned 389 cubic inch (6.4-litre) V8 engine in place of the entry-level Tempest’s 140bhp six.
The top-spec GTO package included triple carburettors giving 348bhp, a four-speed manual gearbox, uprated suspension, wider wheels and bonnet scoops.
It cost just $4,500 with all the options, which equates to about £24,000 in today’s money. Not bad for a car that would race from 0-60mph in just 5.7 seconds – performance for its day and for the price that was so astonishing that magazines of the period tested the GTO against its namesake, the Ferrari 250 GTO just to see what it could really do.
- 1IntroductionGood old American muscle is a hard thing to beat, so here are our top 10 best muscle cars ever built
- 21. 1964 Pontiac GTO - currently readingThe original 1960s muscle car, the Pontiac GTO had amazing performance for its day
- 32. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454The Chevelle Super Sport was Chevrolet's 60s muscle car monster
- 43. 1970 Plymouth Road Runner SuperbirdIt's remembered primarily for its rear wing but the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird had much more to offer than that
- 54. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28Chevrolet's answer to the Ford Mustang, the Camaro is a classic muscle car in its own right
- 65. 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88The Oldsmobile Rocket 88 is often credited with being the original muscle car
- 76. 1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350 newThe Ford Mustang is a muscle car icon and the Shelby versions are the ones to have
- 87. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88More of a sports car in the eyes of some, the Chevy Corvette L88 still ticked many muscle car boxes
- 98. 1964 Ford Fairlane ThunderboltThe Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a street-legal drag racer with a mighty 7.0-litre V8
- 109. 2015 Dodge Challenger HellcatThe Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a muscle car for the modern era, channeling the spirit of the originals