1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 - best muscle cars
Chevrolet's answer to the Ford Mustang, the Camaro is a classic muscle car in its own right
The Chevrolet Camaro was produced in answer to the runaway success of the Ford Mustang, which had been launched in 1964. Arriving three years later, the Camaro was a sporty coupe and convertible based on the Chevy Nova platform, but with some meaty engine options including a 396 cubic inch V8 making up to 375bhp.
There were racy RS and SS option packs that included a blacked–out grille with concealed headlamps, simulated air intakes and ‘bumble bee’ striping, but performance purists could opt for the Z/28 package which added serious chassis mods designed for racing versions.
The Z/28 goodies included disc brakes at the front, a heavy-duty four-speed manual transmission, upgraded suspension and racing stripes. It came as standard with a lighter-weight 302 cubic inch (5.0-litre) small block V8 making 290bhp, but could also be ordered with a 396 cubic inch (6.5-litre) big block.
- 1IntroductionGood old American muscle is a hard thing to beat, so here are our top 10 best muscle cars ever built
- 21. 1964 Pontiac GTOThe original 1960s muscle car, the Pontiac GTO had amazing performance for its day
- 32. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454The Chevelle Super Sport was Chevrolet's 60s muscle car monster
- 43. 1970 Plymouth Road Runner SuperbirdIt's remembered primarily for its rear wing but the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird had much more to offer than that
- 54. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 - currently readingChevrolet's answer to the Ford Mustang, the Camaro is a classic muscle car in its own right
- 65. 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88The Oldsmobile Rocket 88 is often credited with being the original muscle car
- 76. 1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350 newThe Ford Mustang is a muscle car icon and the Shelby versions are the ones to have
- 87. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88More of a sports car in the eyes of some, the Chevy Corvette L88 still ticked many muscle car boxes
- 98. 1964 Ford Fairlane ThunderboltThe Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a street-legal drag racer with a mighty 7.0-litre V8
- 109. 2015 Dodge Challenger HellcatThe Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a muscle car for the modern era channeling the spirit of the originals
- 1110. 1971 Plymouth Hemi 'CudaPlymouth's Barracuda became a muscle car legend with a Hemi V8 plumbed in