1971 Plymouth Hemi 'Cuda - best muscle cars
Plymouth's Barracuda became a muscle car legend with a Hemi V8 plumbed in
The Plymouth Barracuda was introduced a couple of weeks before the Ford Mustang in 1964, but while the Mustang rival also featured sporty styling and affordable prices it spent most of its life in the more popular Ford’s shadow. Apart that is, from the legendary Hemi-powered 'Cuda model which is one of the most desirable muscle car models from the classic era.
Introduced in 1970, the Hemi 'Cuda featured a 426 cubic inch (7.0-litre) V8 making 425bhp, and was good for 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds. It looked the part too, with a range of cartoonish colours and a ‘shaker hood scoop’ poking through the bonnet to help force air into the engine.
The model was withdrawn in 1971 after just 115 examples had been sold, because Plymouth didn’t want to strangle its legendary Hemi V8 to meet new emissions regulations. Nowadays the Hemi 'Cuda is highly collectable of course, with the rarest convertible versions selling for millions of dollars.
- 1IntroductionGood old American muscle is a hard thing to beat, so here are our top 10 best muscle cars ever built
- 21. 1964 Pontiac GTOThe original 1960s muscle car, the Pontiac GTO had amazing performance for its day
- 32. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454The Chevelle Super Sport was Chevrolet's 60s muscle car monster
- 43. 1970 Plymouth Road Runner SuperbirdIt's remembered primarily for its rear wing but the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird had much more to offer than that
- 54. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28Chevrolet's answer to the Ford Mustang, the Camaro is a classic muscle car in its own right
- 65. 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88The Oldsmobile Rocket 88 is often credited with being the original muscle car
- 76. 1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350 newThe Ford Mustang is a muscle car icon and the Shelby versions are the ones to have
- 87. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88More of a sports car in the eyes of some, the Chevy Corvette L88 still ticked many muscle car boxes
- 98. 1964 Ford Fairlane ThunderboltThe Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a street-legal drag racer with a mighty 7.0-litre V8
- 109. 2015 Dodge Challenger HellcatThe Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a muscle car for the modern era, channeling the spirit of the originals