1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 - best muscle cars
The Chevelle Super Sport was Chevrolet's 60s muscle car monster
Chevrolet’s first foray into the Muscle Car world was with the Chevelle Super Sport (or SS) introduced in 1964. Early in its life it was significantly out-gunned by the Pontiac GTO, but it wasn’t long before Chevy started turning up the wick.
By 1970, the Chevelle SS had reached its most outrageous specification, with a huge 454 cubic inch (7.5-litre) big block V8 that could be ordered with an advertised 450bhp and 500lb ft of torque.
With a 0-60mph time of a little over 5 seconds, the 1970 Chevrolet Chevrolet SS 454 was one of the fastest accelerating road cars in the world, and is hugely collectable today.
- 1IntroductionGood old American muscle is a hard thing to beat, so here are our top 10 best muscle cars ever built
- 21. 1964 Pontiac GTOThe original 1960s muscle car, the Pontiac GTO had amazing performance for its day
- 32. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 - currently readingThe Chevelle Super Sport was Chevrolet's 60s muscle car monster
- 43. 1970 Plymouth Road Runner SuperbirdIt's remembered primarily for its rear wing but the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird had much more to offer than that
- 54. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28Chevrolet's answer to the Ford Mustang, the Camaro is a classic muscle car in its own right
- 65. 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88The Oldsmobile Rocket 88 is often credited with being the original muscle car
- 76. 1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350 newThe Ford Mustang is a muscle car icon and the Shelby versions are the ones to have
- 87. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88More of a sports car in the eyes of some, the Chevy Corvette L88 still ticked many muscle car boxes
- 98. 1964 Ford Fairlane ThunderboltThe Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a street-legal drag racer with a mighty 7.0-litre V8
- 109. 2015 Dodge Challenger HellcatThe Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a muscle car for the modern era channeling the spirit of the originals
- 1110. 1971 Plymouth Hemi 'CudaPlymouth's Barracuda became a muscle car legend with a Hemi V8 plumbed in