1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 - best muscle cars
More of a sports car in the eyes of some, the Chevy Corvette L88 still ticked many muscle car boxes
Conceived as a bone-fide home-grown sportscar to rival European imports, the two seat Chevrolet Corvette may not fit the muscle car tag for many US enthusiasts. But to the rest of the world the car’s big block V8 engine options and affordable price tag made it a prime example of the breed.
The Mako shark-inspired Corvette C3 Stingray arrived in 1968 at the peak of the muscle car era, and included an L88 big block engine option designed primarily for racing. The 427 cubic inch (7.0-litre) V8 had an advertised horsepower of 430bhp, but many believe production models actually escaped from the factory with upwards of 550bhp. Other L88 upgrades included a heavy-duty four speed manual gearbox, uprated brakes and suspension, and deletion of the air con, heater and radio options.
In racing trim, the L88 Corvette would hit 171mph at Le Mans, and although GM had to offer it for sale to the public to meet racing rules it was never actively promoted as a road car. That’s why fewer than 200 examples were ever sold.
- 1IntroductionGood old American muscle is a hard thing to beat, so here are our top 10 best muscle cars ever built
- 21. 1964 Pontiac GTOThe original 1960s muscle car, the Pontiac GTO had amazing performance for its day
- 32. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454The Chevelle Super Sport was Chevrolet's 60s muscle car monster
- 43. 1970 Plymouth Road Runner SuperbirdIt's remembered primarily for its rear wing but the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird had much more to offer than that
- 54. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28Chevrolet's answer to the Ford Mustang, the Camaro is a classic muscle car in its own right
- 65. 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88The Oldsmobile Rocket 88 is often credited with being the original muscle car
- 76. 1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350 newThe Ford Mustang is a muscle car icon and the Shelby versions are the ones to have
- 87. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 - currently readingMore of a sports car in the eyes of some, the Chevy Corvette L88 still ticked many muscle car boxes
- 98. 1964 Ford Fairlane ThunderboltThe Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a street-legal drag racer with a mighty 7.0-litre V8
- 109. 2015 Dodge Challenger HellcatThe Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a muscle car for the modern era channeling the spirit of the originals
- 1110. 1971 Plymouth Hemi 'CudaPlymouth's Barracuda became a muscle car legend with a Hemi V8 plumbed in