1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt - best muscle cars
The Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a street-legal drag racer with a mighty 7.0-litre V8
Another extreme rarity inspired by the need to win at the track, the Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a stripped-out drag racer that mated the lightweight (relatively) and compact Ford Fairlane body with the meaty 427 cubic inch (7.0-litre) V8 race engine developed for the bigger heavier Ford Galaxie NASCAR racers.
The Galaxie was too heavy to be competitive on drag-strip acceleration runs, but the Thunderbolt solved that problem for Ford by winning the National Hot Rod Association’s Super Stock championship in 1964.
According to Ford’s official documentation, the Thunderbolt was rated at 425bhp in its standard race-prepared spec. Unofficial estimates put that figure closer to 600bhp – and performance was further improved by lightening the car with plastic windows and glass-fibre doors, bonnet and wings.
The best bit? The Thunderbolt was technically street legal, although Ford riveted a disclaimer to the inside of the glovebox stating the model’s fit and finish was not up to normal road car standards. Just 100 examples were built in 1964.
- 1IntroductionGood old American muscle is a hard thing to beat, so here are our top 10 best muscle cars ever built
- 21. 1964 Pontiac GTOThe original 1960s muscle car, the Pontiac GTO had amazing performance for its day
- 32. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454The Chevelle Super Sport was Chevrolet's 60s muscle car monster
- 43. 1970 Plymouth Road Runner SuperbirdIt's remembered primarily for its rear wing but the Plymouth Road Runner Superbird had much more to offer than that
- 54. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28Chevrolet's answer to the Ford Mustang, the Camaro is a classic muscle car in its own right
- 65. 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88The Oldsmobile Rocket 88 is often credited with being the original muscle car
- 76. 1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350 newThe Ford Mustang is a muscle car icon and the Shelby versions are the ones to have
- 87. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88More of a sports car in the eyes of some, the Chevy Corvette L88 still ticked many muscle car boxes
- 98. 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt - currently readingThe Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt was a street-legal drag racer with a mighty 7.0-litre V8
- 109. 2015 Dodge Challenger HellcatThe Dodge Challenger Hellcat is a muscle car for the modern era, channeling the spirit of the originals