Austin-Healey 3000 - Best classic sports cars
The hairy-chested 'Big Healey' 3000 is as desirable now, as it was back in the 1950s and '60s
Known as the Big Healey to differentiate the model from the diminutive Austin-Healey Sprite, the Austin-Healey 3000 was a sportscar in the classic English vein built from 1959 to 1967.
Successor to the popular Austin-Healey 100-6, the 3000 was renamed to celebrate the adoption of a 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder engine, offering up to 150bhp in its final Mark III guise. The 100-6 was itself a redesigned version of the Austin-Healey 100 series, a car that was based on Austin Atlantic running gear, and named for its ability to crack the magic ton – quite a feat in the early 1950s.
When the 3000 arrived, it quickly made its mark as a rally car, with many class victories to its credit under the auspices of the BMC competitions department. The 3000’s factory racing career ended in 1965 though, as BMW turned its attention to the giant-slaying Mini Cooper S.
The Big Healey has a reputation as something of a ‘hairy-chested’ sports car, thanks to its firm ride, heavy steering and grunty engine. Nonetheless it remains highly popular in the classic market today, thanks to its relative simplicity and muscular good looks.
Available both as a two-seater and a 2+2, the Big Healey to have is the 3000 MK III. It’s the last of the line, but also the best appointed with the most power and the most luxurious interior that included wind-up windows and a walnut dashboard.
- 1IntroductionWhich is the best classic sports car? AC, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lotus, MG and Porsche all make compelling cases
- 2Jaguar E-TypeEnzo Ferrari called the Jaguar E-Type the most beautiful car ever when new. Half a century hasn't jaded the looks!
- 3MGBOnce Great Britain's most ubiquitous sports car, today the MGB is a popular and affordable classic
- 4Ferrari 250 GTIf you don't go weak at the knees in the presence of a Ferrari 250 GT, we suggest seeking medical help
- 5AC CobraCarroll Shelby's iconic Cobra is the legendary snake that has inspired a legion of fakes...
- 6Porsche 911Early Porsche 911 tick lots of classic car boxes. They're rare, desirable, and still highly relevant today
- 7Ferrari Daytona174mph and stunning front-engined design are all part of what makes the Ferrari Daytona rock
- 8BMW 507Elvis Presley bought two BMW 507s, but it was so pricey that too few others bought just one...
- 9Lotus SevenSuper light, super agile and super cool - if you don't need practicality from your classic, try this early Lotus
- 10Austin-Healey 3000 - currently readingThe hairy-chested 'Big Healey' 3000 is as desirable now, as it was back in the 1950s and '60s