Ferrari 250 GT - Best classic sports cars
If you don't go weak at the knees in the presence of a Ferrari 250 GT, we suggest seeking medical help
Arguably best known as the Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder - and extremely highly prized in that guise if auction prices are anything to go on – the Ferrari 250 GT is one of the ultimate collectors classics from the 1950s and ‘60s.
The 250 models introduced a new 3.0-litre V12 engine for Ferrari, and made its first appearance on the race track in 1952. Road going versions arrived three years later, and as the car had a separate chassis there were a variety of body designs offered over the following years by coachbuilders such as Boano, Scaglietti and Pininfarina. The 250 chassis was available in short-wheelbase and long-wheelbase from, and California Spyders were built both on the long chassis, and latterly in SWB form. The SWB California models are particularly desirable - a glass-fibre replica famously featured in the movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - and several 250 GT Spyders and Berlinettas (coupes) have connections to Hollywood legends and rock stars.
The most highly sought-after Ferrari 250s of all are the 250 GTO versions homologated for GT racing. Just 36 examples of this racing coupe were built from 1962-64 (there were 33 series I and 3 series II cars, plus 3 330 GTOs with a larger 4.0-litre engine), even though FIA regulations demanded that 100 must be made in order for the car to be eligible for competition. It later emerged that Ferrari had cheated the FIA inspectors, but the car is still officially credited as the winner of three GT world championship series in 1962, ’63 and ’64.
- 1IntroductionWhich is the best classic sports car? Models from AC, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lotus, MG, Porsche and more all make compelling cases
- 2Jaguar E-TypeEnzo Ferrari called the Jaguar E-Type the most beautiful car ever when new. Half a century hasn't jaded the looks!
- 3MGBOnce Great Britain's most ubiquitous sports car, today the MGB is a popular and affordable classic
- 4Ferrari 250 GT - currently readingIf you don't go weak at the knees in the presence of a Ferrari 250 GT, we suggest seeking medical help
- 5AC CobraCarroll Shelby's iconic Cobra is the legendary snake that has inspired a legion of fakes...
- 6Porsche 911Early Porsche 911 tick lots of classic car boxes. They're rare, desirable, and still highly relevant today
- 7Ferrari Daytona174mph and stunning front-engined design are all part of what makes the Ferrari Daytona rock
- 8BMW 507Elvis Presley bought two BMW 507s, but it was so pricey that too few others bought just one...
- 9Lotus SevenSuper light, super agile and super cool - if you don't need practicality from your classic, try this early Lotus
- 10Austin-Healey 3000The hairy-chested 'Big Healey' 3000 is as desirable now, as it was back in the 1950s and '60s
- 11Sunbeam AlpineNot quite a Ford Thunderbird in miniature, but the Sunbeam Alpine spawned a genuine muscle car