Ferrari Daytona - Best classic sports cars
174mph and stunning front-engined design are all part of what makes the Ferrari Daytona rock
This classic Ferrari isn’t really a ‘Daytona’ at all, as Ferrari itself refers to the car as the 365 GTB/4. Ferrari Daytona is much more evocative though, and was a nickname given to the car to celebrate Ferrari’s 1-2-3 finish in the 1967 24 hour race at the Daytona motor circuit in the US.
The Ferrari Daytona was the follow-up to the 275 GTB/4, and thus traces its ancestry back to the 250 GT that also features in this list. The front-engined Daytona uses a much larger 4.4-litre V12 developed from the engine in its Grand Touring predecessors, and its 352bhp was enough to take the car to 174mph with 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds.
The Daytona’s long-nosed, droop-snooted styling was penned by Pininfarina and looked impressively modern compared to Ferrari’s earlier V12 coupes. Early Daytonas with perspex headlamp covers were updated in 1971 with very fashionable pop-up units. As well as the stylish coupe, Ferrari also made a small number of even more glamorous Spyder versions, and after Daytona production ended in 1973 a cottage industry developed that turned quite a few coupes into Spyder replicas – which were worth a lot more money.
Ferrari enthusiasts harbour a particular fondness for the racing versions of the Daytona, all built for private teams to campaign in the GT class. The 356 GTB/4 Competizione models featured lightweight bodies, and engines tuned up to a maximum of 450bhp. They dominated the GT class at Le Mans in the early 1970s.
- 1IntroductionWhich is the best classic sports car? AC, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lotus, MG and Porsche all make compelling cases
- 2Jaguar E-TypeEnzo Ferrari called the Jaguar E-Type the most beautiful car ever when new. Half a century hasn't jaded the looks!
- 3MGBOnce Great Britain's most ubiquitous sports car, today the MGB is a popular and affordable classic
- 4Ferrari 250 GTIf you don't go weak at the knees in the presence of a Ferrari 250 GT, we suggest seeking medical help
- 5AC CobraCarroll Shelby's iconic Cobra is the legendary snake that has inspired a legion of fakes...
- 6Porsche 911Early Porsche 911 tick lots of classic car boxes. They're rare, desirable, and still highly relevant today
- 7Ferrari Daytona - currently reading174mph and stunning front-engined design are all part of what makes the Ferrari Daytona rock
- 8BMW 507Elvis Presley bought two BMW 507s, but it was so pricey that too few others bought just one...
- 9Lotus SevenSuper light, super agile and super cool - if you don't need practicality from your classic, try this early Lotus
- 10Austin-Healey 3000The hairy-chested 'Big Healey' 3000 is as desirable now, as it was back in the 1950s and '60s