Lotus Seven - Best classic sports cars
Super light, super agile and super cool - if you don't need practicality from your classic, try this early Lotus
The Lotus Seven was initially marketed as a kit car, in order to take advantage of purchase tax breaks here in the UK. It had its origins in a single seat racing car design intended for the Formula 2, but as that project didn’t reach fruition it evolved into the Lotus Seven road car instead.
Early models featured a 40bhp Ford Popular engine, and were nothing like the pocket-rockets that the cars would quickly become. The initial lack of excitement was soon overcome when the Lotus Super Seven arrived in 1961 with bigger Ford crossflow engines. Ultimately the Cosworth-tweaked 1.6-litre Ford Twin Cam from the Elan made it under the Seven’s diminutive bonnet to really uncork the performance.
Light weight helped of course, thanks to an elemental construction using as few chassis members as possible joined by load-bearing flat panels to generate the required stiffness.
Apart from its successes in low cost club racing, and the enthralling handling that made it a rapid but somewhat impractical road car, the Lotus Seven also gained iconic cultural status after appearing with Patrick McGoohan in the cult 1960s TV series The Prisoner.
- 1IntroductionWhich is the best classic sports car? AC, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lotus, MG and Porsche all make compelling cases
- 2Jaguar E-TypeEnzo Ferrari called the Jaguar E-Type the most beautiful car ever when new. Half a century hasn't jaded the looks!
- 3MGBOnce Great Britain's most ubiquitous sports car, today the MGB is a popular and affordable classic
- 4Ferrari 250 GTIf you don't go weak at the knees in the presence of a Ferrari 250 GT, we suggest seeking medical help
- 5AC CobraCarroll Shelby's iconic Cobra is the legendary snake that has inspired a legion of fakes...
- 6Porsche 911Early Porsche 911 tick lots of classic car boxes. They're rare, desirable, and still highly relevant today
- 7Ferrari Daytona174mph and stunning front-engined design are all part of what makes the Ferrari Daytona rock
- 8BMW 507Elvis Presley bought two BMW 507s, but it was so pricey that too few others bought just one...
- 9Lotus Seven - currently readingSuper light, super agile and super cool - if you don't need practicality from your classic, try this early Lotus
- 10Austin-Healey 3000The hairy-chested 'Big Healey' 3000 is as desirable now, as it was back in the 1950s and '60s
- 11Sunbeam AlpineNot quite a Ford Thunderbird in miniature, but the Sunbeam Alpine spawned a genuine muscle car