BMW X7 review - Reliability and safety
Buyers will be reassured by the X7's excellent levels of standard safety kit
The X7 didn't feature in our Driver Power owner satisfaction survey, while BMW itself could only manage a lowly 21st position out of 29 manufacturers.
Euro NCAP is yet to test the X7 but there’s no reason to doubt the car’s safety credentials given the good performance of other modern BMW models. The X7 is loaded with up-to-date active safety and driver assistance systems including adaptive LED headlights, automatic emergency braking (AEB), cruise control, a speed limiter and a driver attentiveness monitor.
Opt for the Technology package and the X7 gets active cruise, lane-change and departure warning, lane-keep assist with active side collision protection and many more sophisticated systems. It’s easily a match for the safety-conscious Volvo XC90 in this regard.
All BMW models are covered by a three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty as standard. This compares favourably to the three years and 60,000 miles offered by Volvo and matches that offered by Land Rover. The warranty also includes three years of roadside recovery.
BMW offers fixed-price servicing for its models and owners can spread the costs of maintenance. Schemes include BMW Value Service, Fast Lane Service (with a 90-minute turnaround) and Service While You Fly, whereby a participating service centre near an airport can service your car while you travel.
In this review
- 1BMW X7 reviewStill as big and bold as ever, the BMW X7 is one of the most imposing and luxurious SUVs around
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe X7 is one of the best large SUVs to drive, but certainly feels its size
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThe BMW X7 is a large, expensive car with running costs to match – regardless of which engine you pick
- 4Interior, design and technologyIts bold design may divide opinion, but few SUVs can match the X7’s blend of luxury and quality
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe X7 is one of the most practical cars in its class, not least because it’s so big
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingBuyers will be reassured by the X7's excellent levels of standard safety kit