SUV/Crossover: Toyota RAV4
The spacious and capable Toyota RAV4 could be yours for around £4,800, making it a compelling buy
What £4,800 buys: Toyota RAV4 X-TR 2.2 D-4D
(100,000 miles, 57 plate)
Engine: 2.2-litre 4cyl, 134bhp
0-62mph/top speed: 10.5 secs/112mph
Crossovers and SUVs have become hugely popular in recent years. Take on a PCP for one of these, and you'll be committing to anywhere between £200 and £600 a month. That means you'll pay an average of £4,800 annually - the cost of a 2007 Toyota RAV4 2.2 D-4D.
Toyota practically invented the compact SUV with the RAV4, and at under £5,000, the third-generation model is something of a bargain. Running costs can be high, but the car is very reliable and capable off-road, as long as you steer clear of the front-wheel-drive versions and go for a 4WD model.
2004 Volvo XC90 D5: The original XC90 looks sharp and offers seven-seat practicality, but can be expensive to run.
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2: Versatile Freelander 2 is great both on and off-road. Reliability record lets it down.
Best used PCP alternatives:
- 1IntroductionPersonal Contract Purchasing is more popular than ever, but we show which used cars you can buy with a year's worth of PCP payments
- 2City car/supermini: SEAT IbizaWe found a 1.4 Sport model of the popular Polo-based supermini for just £2,100
- 3Compact family car: Vauxhall AstraA practical choice, you can pick up a Vauxhall Astra for £3,000 without too much trouble
- 4Compact executive car: Audi A4Just £4,800 could buy this classy and efficient Audi A4
- 5SUV/Crossover: Toyota RAV4 - currently readingThe spacious and capable Toyota RAV4 could be yours for around £4,800, making it a compelling buy
- 6MPV: Ford GalaxyHugely spacious yet pretty fun to drive, the Ford Galaxy looks like great value at £4,200
- 7Sports car: Mazda MX-5For a bit of drop-top fun, nothing beats a Mazda MX-5 - and one could be yours for just £4,200