Mercedes CLA review - Reliability and safety
The CLA is closely related to the A-Class hatchback, which means its packed with safety kit
The CLA is closely related to the A-Class hatchback and as such comes fully loaded with safety kit. All cars get autonomous emergency braking, lane keep assist, a driver attention monitor and cruise control as standard, along with traffic sign and speed limit assist functions.
Euro NCAP awarded the CLA a top five-star rating in 2019, with an outstanding 96 per cent score for occupant protection and 91 per cent achieved for child safety.
Although the CLA model didn't feature in our 2022 Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, its A-Class sibling finished in 30th position out of 75 cars in the best cars to own poll. Mercedes itself has received mixed responses from customers over the past few years. In 2020, the German manufacturer placed 28th out of 30 brands, followed by an improvement to 13th spot in 2021. However, customers voted Mercedes into 23rd place in the most recent survey in 2022.
Mercedes offers flexible servicing payment options on all its cars. As with many other manufacturer schemes, this allows you to spread the cost of servicing over monthly payments, or pay for all your car’s servicing requirements in one go. Mercedes’ scheme is comprehensive and can be customised depending on your car’s use and mileage.
In this review
- 1VerdictThe Mercedes CLA is arguably the best-looking A-Class model you can buy, with a beautifully finished interior and plenty of kerb appeal
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Mercedes CLA uses a wider track than the A-Class, but the differences to the car’s handling are marginal
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsA range of petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid engines means that there’s a balance of performance and economy to suit most buyers
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe latest Mercedes CLA sets a high benchmark for interior tech, fit and finish
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe CLA Coupe is a little compromised for space; choose the Shooting Brake model if you need more room
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe CLA is closely related to the A-Class hatchback, which means its packed with safety kit