Mercedes E-Class - most comfortable cars
The Mercedes E-Class utilises tech from S-Class to deliver limousine ride quality in an executive saloon body
The Mercedes S-Class tops our list and it's a testament to that car that the smaller E-Class appears too. Mercedes’ knowledge of producing a saloon with incredible refinement which has noticeably trickled down into the E-Class from the S-Class, except the E-Class is more versatile with saloon, estate, coupe and convertible models in its line-up.
Even the base E 220 d SE offers tremendous refinement with the 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbodiesel much more quieter and also more powerful than the old 2.1-litre diesel. There’s an E 300 de ‘EQ Power’ diesel hybrid which can switch between pure-electric, combustion and a combination of both. The transitions between each power source are smooth and helped by a well-integrated nine-speed automatic.
Despite shedding around 100kg over its predecessor, the E-Class still feels solid and well-built. Mercedes has clearly focused, making the car the comfiest car in its segment - even if it falls short of the BMW 5 Series and Jaguar XF in the fun department.
- 1IntroductionWe pick 10 of the most comfortable cars to drive, or be driven in, currently on sale in the UK
- 21. Mercedes S-ClassThe Mercedes S-Class leads the way for luxury, comfort, refinement and technology
- 32. Rolls-Royce PhantomA name etched into the luxury car market, the Rolls-Royce Phantom lives up to its reputation
- 43. Range RoverThe Range Rover is one of the most comfortable cars of all, both on the road and off it
- 54. BMW 7 SeriesThe BMW 7 Series offers supreme comfort across its model range and pushes the Mercedes S-Class harder than ever
- 65. Bentley MulsanneHand-crafted Bentley Mulsanne delivers luxury and performance in spades
- 76. Audi A8The latest Audi A8 has come on leaps and bounds to become an accomplished luxury limousine
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesWhether cruising along or tackling tight corners, the BMW 5 Series has it all
- 98. Bentley BentaygaThe Bentley Bentayga might be expensive and inefficient, but it’s also one of the best luxury SUVs on sale
- 109. Audi Q7Second-generation Audi Q7 made big strides in ride quality and handling
- 1110. Mercedes E-Class - currently readingThe Mercedes E-Class utilises tech from S-Class to deliver limousine ride quality in an executive saloon body