Mercedes S-Class - most comfortable cars
The Mercedes S-Class leads the way for luxury, comfort, refinement and technology
The Mercedes S-Class often previews technology ‘regular’ cars won’t see for decades. Adaptive cruise control, Merc's Comand cabin control system debuted on it, while tech such as double-glazed windows and safety kit such as airbags and three-point seatbelts also appeared first on the S-Class.
There's no faulting the S-Class' engineering pedigree, and this translates into a hugely comfortable car to drive around town or on long trips. High-spec long-wheelbase models deliver plush driving comfort, with air-suspension cushioning the ride and soft seats with massage functions available in the back. The extended wheelbase means there's space to spare for even the tallest of rear-seat occupants, while the standard LED ambient lighting and full suite of entertainment in the back mean you're well looked after.
The current S-Class is nearing the end of its life cycle, but even so it’s still a tour de force of luxury. There's a variety of drivetrains available, from simple diesel to complex hybrid and powerhouse AMG variants, but all models deliver the kind of luxury that has made the S-Class a perennial winner of the Best Luxury Car title at the Auto Express New Car Awards.
Most comfortable cars on sale
- 1IntroductionWe pick 10 of the most comfortable cars to drive, or be driven in, currently on sale in the UK
- 21. Mercedes S-Class - currently readingThe Mercedes S-Class leads the way for luxury, comfort, refinement and technology
- 32. Rolls-Royce PhantomA name etched into the luxury car market, the Rolls-Royce Phantom lives up to its reputation
- 43. Range RoverThe Range Rover is one of the most comfortable cars of all, both on the road and off it
- 54. BMW 7 SeriesThe BMW 7 Series offers supreme comfort across its model range and pushes the Mercedes S-Class harder than ever
- 65. Bentley MulsanneHand-crafted Bentley Mulsanne delivers luxury and performance in spades
- 76. Audi A8The latest Audi A8 has come on leaps and bounds to become an accomplished luxury limousine
- 87. BMW 5 SeriesWhether cruising along or tackling tight corners, the BMW 5 Series has it all
- 98. Bentley BentaygaThe Bentley Bentayga might be expensive and inefficient, but it’s also one of the best luxury SUVs on sale
- 109. Audi Q7Second-generation Audi Q7 made big strides in ride quality and handling