SEAT Leon - best hatchbacks 2018
The SEAT Leon is one of the best hatchbacks on the market at the moment
If looks matter, the SEAT Leon should be near the top of your hatchback list. The latest model is as sharp-suited as they come and its sleek profile combines crisp lines with taut curves to create a sporty looking family car. Interior quality has taken a big step up and the Leon even gives the latest VW Golf a run for its money inside – only some lower grade plastics let the side down.
SEAT has a reputation for sporty driving dynamics and the Leon won’t disappoint. Slick controls, sharp responses and entertaining dynamics are all hallmarks of the new hatchback, along with impressive refinement, and the hot FR model is a genuine cut-price alternative to the legendary Golf GTI.
Competitive prices ensure the SEAT Leon provides good value – all models come with a touchscreen display in the centre of the dashboard – and it’s more practical than ever, with a large 380-litre boot. Downsides are few, but if you don’t like reversing the limited rear visibility of the Leon won’t help matters.
The facelift in 2017 was about as subtle as can be on the outside, but SEAT added the VW Group's latest infotainment system inside, so it at least keeps pace with the revised Golf for connectivity.
Best hatchbacks to buy now
- 1. Volkswagen Golf
- 2. Mercedes A-Class
- 3. Skoda Octavia
- 4. Vauxhall Astra
- 5. Renault Megane
- 6. Honda Civic
- 7. SEAT Leon
- 8. Peugeot 308
- 9. Mazda 3
- 10. Audi A3
In this review
- 11. Volkswagen GolfThe Volkswagen Golf remains one of the best hatchbacks on sale
- 22. Mercedes A-ClassThe Mercedes A-Class is a yardstick for all other hatchbacks when it comes to design, quality and tech
- 33. Skoda OctaviaThe Skoda Octavia is a spacious alternative to the Volkswagen Golf and SEAT Leon in the hatchback class
- 44. Vauxhall AstraThe latest Vauxhall Astra must be on any hatchback buyer's shortlist
- 55. Renault MeganeThe fourth-generation Renault Megane is a big improvement over its predecessor
- 66. Honda CivicTenth-generation Civic puts British-built hatch back in the running
- 77. SEAT Leon - currently readingThe SEAT Leon is one of the best hatchbacks on the market at the moment
- 88. Peugeot 308The award-winning Peugeot 308 is a great alternative to the mainstream family hatchbacks
- 99. Mazda 3Mazda's superb 3 is a worthy addition to our list of the best hatchbacks on the market
- 1010. Audi A3The Audi A3 is a desirable car that brings a touch of class to the hatchback sector