Audi A3 - best hatchbacks 2018
The Audi A3 is a desirable car that brings a touch of class to the hatchback sector
You can’t fail to recognise its distinctive grille and headlamps, which ape the look of the firm’s larger saloons, but cabin quality is what Audi does best, and the A3 doesn’t disappoint. Its classy interior provides a welcome taste of what makes big Audi saloons so good, mixing top-notch materials with a smart design. Neat details include a 5.8-inch screen that pops up from the top of the dash on all models in the range.
Yes, you pay a premium for all of this luxury, but the A3 still appeals thanks to the low emissions of its efficient turbocharged petrol and diesel engines. The five-door Sportback is also perfectly suited to family buyers, for whom the sportier three-door is too impractical.
Best hatchbacks to buy now
In this review
- 11. Volkswagen GolfThe Volkswagen Golf remains one of the best hatchbacks on sale
- 22. Mercedes A-ClassThe Mercedes A-Class is a yardstick for all other hatchbacks when it comes to design, quality and tech
- 33. Skoda OctaviaThe Skoda Octavia is a spacious alternative to the Volkswagen Golf and SEAT Leon in the hatchback class
- 44. Vauxhall AstraThe latest Vauxhall Astra must be on any hatchback buyer's shortlist
- 55. Renault MeganeThe fourth-generation Renault Megane is a big improvement over its predecessor
- 66. Honda CivicTenth-generation Civic puts British-built hatch back in the running
- 77. SEAT LeonThe SEAT Leon is one of the best hatchbacks on the market at the moment
- 88. Peugeot 308The award-winning Peugeot 308 is a great alternative to the mainstream family hatchbacks
- 99. Mazda 3Mazda's superb 3 is a worthy addition to our list of the best hatchbacks on the market