Readers had their say on the cars they own - and it was clear which firm was their number one
Why Skoda won...
It's three in a row for Skoda. For the third year in succession, the brand was crowned Britain’s best manufacturer in our prestigious Driver Power survey.
Auto Express’s annual poll has been running for 10 years, and has established itself as one of the most influential guides to owner satisfaction in the industry. Put simply, the Driver Power results tell readers – and makers – all they need to know about what a model is like to live with. And that makes this a fantastic achievement for Skoda.
Video: watch our Driver Power video for Skoda
The firm has now been part of the VW Group for 20 years, and its latest models are clearly among the best around. The fact it has added three more New Car Awards to its bulging trophy cabinet – Best Family Car, Crossover and Estate – attests to that.
In Driver Power 2011, three of the top four positions in our rundown were occupied by Skodas – the Superb, Yeti and Octavia. After ousting Lexus in 2009, the brand has made first place in our survey its own.
- 1Britain’s best new carsWe pick the best new models on the market in 17 classes, plus our Car of the Year and more
- 2Best Compact Family CarIt's a third category win in as many years for VW's family favourite
- 3Best ConvertibleGerman firm produces another serial class winner
- 4Best Family CarIt's a hat-trick of victories in the family class for Skoda's big five-seater
- 5Best SuperminiA mix of great handling, smart looks and practicality keep the Fiesta at the top of the supermini pile
- 6Best City CarBig-car options keep tiny Hyundai at the head of the field
- 7Best LuxuryGerman limousine is still the best in the business
- 8Best CrossoverLast year's Car of the Year is still the one to beat in the crossover class
- 9Best Compact SUVSmallest Range Rover marks a new dawn for the firm
- 10Best Hot HatchSporty Golf is a hugely accomplished all-rounder that lives up to legendary badge
- 11Best EstateThe load-lugging Skoda Superb Estate wins two years in a row
- 12Best Supermini-MPVNew supermini MPV heads straight to the top of the class
- 13Best RoadsterRear-wheel-drive thrills keep two-seater at the top of the pile
- 14Best ExecutiveGerman firm Audi has finally toppled arch-rival BMW for executive honours
- 15Best MPVSpanish firm picks up its first-ever gong for its no-nonsense, great-value seven-seater
- 16Best CoupeStunning looks are backed up by entertaining handling
- 17Best Compact ExecutiveFine handling and super-efficient engines help 3 Series remain at the top of the pile
- 18Best Large SUVAll-round talents of big Brit see it take a seventh title
- 19Best Premium SuperminiAll-new model takes on MINI and beats it to the title
- 20Performance Car Of The YearItalian thoroughbred won through against new supercar from F1 arch rival McLaren
- 21Design AwardSwedish firm's coupe concept gets your vote as a style icon
- 22Special AwardHi-tech safety pack brings kit which is usually the reserve of executive cars to the masses
- 23Car of the YearAll-new Range Rover sets new standards to become our grand champion
- 24Auto Express Hall of FamePresident of General Motors Europe is a deserving inductee to our Hall of Fame
- 25Green AwardInaugural winner of our new Green Award is doing its bit for the environment, as well as owners' wallets
- 26Driver Power - currently readingReaders had their say on the cars they own - and it was clear which firm was their number one