Skoda Rapid review - Reliability and Safety
Excellent reliability feedback from owners and strong safety credentials are two of the Rapid's strengths
Skoda routinely performs well in our annual Driver Power satisfaction survey, and in 2016 the brand notched up a third place result behind Tesla and Lexus. Its dealers couldn’t match that result for customer service, though, finishing mid-table in 15th position.
More impressively, the Skoda Rapid itself was ranked 14th out of almost 200 cars in the 2015 reliability league, and 78th for build quality. Along with extremely well-rated running costs, where it was ranked 6th, such feedback gave the Rapid a strong 25th place in the overall survey.
As the Rapid uses technology from elsewhere in the VW Group, we would expect it to be extremely reliable. Driven in the manner that its designers intended – which is conservatively - even the wear and tear items should last well. The cabin feels durable and well put together too, so should give years of service.
When the Rapid was crash tested by Euro NCAP in 2012, it received a full five-star rating. Most of this is due to the Rapid’s inherent crash safety, as there’s not much safety kit as standard. Six airbags are fitted, but Skoda’s Front Assist collision warning and autonomous emergency braking system is around £315.
The Rapid comes with a three-year warranty, but while the first two years include unlimited mileage there’s a cap of 60,000 in year three. However, you can pay extra to extend the warranty for five years/100,000 miles for around £460.
For about £22 per month, Skoda will sell you a maintenance plan that covers servicing and inspections for three years or 30,000 miles. It includes an oil change at 12 months or 10,000 miles, and an inspection service at 24 and 36 months.
In this review
- 1Skoda Rapid reviewThe Skoda Rapid is a rather plain hatchback, but it offers a lot of space for the money
- 2Engines, performance and driveNo fireworks from the engine line-up, but the Skoda Rapid is a reasonable all-rounder
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsDay-to-day costs should be super-low, but Skoda Rapid depreciation is a bit of an issue
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe Skoda Rapid's conservative exterior wraps an unexciting cabin with no 'surprise and delight' features
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe spacious Rapid is hard to beat in its class for practicality, and comfort is decent too
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingExcellent reliability feedback from owners and strong safety credentials are two of the Rapid's strengths