Toyota Supra review - Reliability and safety
Toyota offers plenty of safety kit for the Supra, while customers are positive about the brand
All Supra models come with a full suite of active safety and driver assistance systems. Forming part of the Toyota Supra Saftey+ pack are a pre-collision system (automatic emergency braking), adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning with steering assist, automatic headlights and road sign recognition. Supra Pro models add a head up display that helps the driver keep their eyes on the road.
The Supra is also too new – and available in too few numbers – to have featured in our Driver Power owner satisfaction survey. However, Toyota itself was ranked an impressive 6th out of 30 manufacturers in our 2020 poll, with running costs and reliability rated highly by owners.
Toyota’s impressive five-year/100,000-mile warranty applies here and therefore beats the standard three-year items offered on most of the Supra’s rivals. An extended warranty can be bought at extra cost as part of a package that includes free MoTs and roadside assistance among other perks.
Servicing should be relatively pain-free compared to more prestigious rivals; finding a local dealer to do the work should be easy thanks to a large network. Costs are likely to run high, however – large tyres, performance-orientated brakes and a powerful engine will all keep prices relatively high. We’d expect Toyota to undercut its premium-badged rivals in this regard, though.
In this review
- 1VerdictThe Toyota Supra is a very capable sports car that uses shared BMW tech to its advantage
- 2Engines, performance and driveThe Toyota Supra is a great sports car that’s fast, fun and pliant on UK roads
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsWhen compared to its close rivals, the Toyota Supra provides decent economy in both four- and six-cylinder forms
- 4Interior, design and technologyToyota has ensured the Supra looks suitably ready for action, while equipment levels are high
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Supra is relatively comfortable and practical, but some rivals offer more space
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingToyota offers plenty of safety kit for the Supra, while customers are positive about the brand