Kumho Solus Vier
All-season offering falls short in most conditions
The Vier is a long way off the performance of both all-season and winter tyres. Like the Nankang, it was much better than the summer tyre, but a long way behind the best.
Based on its dislike for snow, we thought it was closer to a summer tyre and would fare better on wet and dry roads. But this never materialised. It felt pretty grim on the snow track, lacking cornering grip, and was a massive 14 seconds slower per lap than the best.
The margin was closer on the wet circuit – six seconds – but it still lacked traction and lateral grip compared to rivals.
The compound obviously doesn’t like the cold, as it was ninth in the wet braking test, but more competitive in the aquaplaning, which isn’t temperature dependent. It managed a close third on the dry handling circuit, but ended up eighth in the dry braking test.
It’s hard to see what season suits the Vier, as the summer option was some way ahead in the dry tests. Even at this price, it’s hard to recommend.
Kumho needs to look at this again – its all-season tyre fails to shine in any conditions.
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3And how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie IIItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4SBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus Vier - currently readingAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests