Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie II
Italian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
This Pirelli rubber starred when the roads were wet, rather than covered in snow. A stellar performance on the curved aquaplaning circle put it a long way ahead of its winter and all-season rivals, and it was close to the summer Continental in the final scores.
It had to give best to the winter Conti in straight aquaplaning, but it was quicker on the handling track and just a fraction behind the swift Michelin.
The Sottozero really felt at home on the cold, wet circuit, with sharp turn-in and plenty of grip through the turns with the rear well under control. It was a little off the pace of the best on snow, with a poor braking result not helping. It needed three metres more than the winner, although its traction was a fraction better.
In the dry the Pirelli was a match for the best, and it should prove easy on the pocket, too. It was among the cheapest premium winter tyres and topped the rolling resistance test, which will help fuel economy.
Cost-effective wet winter option with good fuel consumption and a competitive price.
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3And how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie II - currently readingItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4SBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus VierAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests