Nankang Snow SV-2
Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
With a £70-a-corner price advantage over its nearest winter rival, this Chinese tyre looks tempting, especially as it offers a lot more grip on snow than a summer pattern.
But while it may increase your safety margin on the white stuff, that advantage is lost on wet roads, where it was behind the best winter rivals and close to the summer tyre on the temperature-dependent disciplines such as braking and handling.
It’s only on dry roads where it begins to match other winter designs – fourth place in braking and just over a second off the pace on the handling circuit. While it was better than the summer Conti on the snow handling track – at least it made it round – it didn’t offer the grip of the other winter tyres, with the nose easily pushing wide and wheels spinning under acceleration.
There was a similar lack of grip in the wet, with plenty of lock required to turn. At least everything was progressive and happening at lower speeds than similar rivals.
Don’t let price sway you – snow performance doesn’t make up for big deficits elsewhere.
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3And how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie IIItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4SBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2 - currently readingBudget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus VierAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests