Vredestein Quatrac 3
Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
For many years, Vredestein offered one of the few all-season tyres on sale in the UK. This version has better grip on snow than a standard tyre, while retaining decent performance on dry roads.
It narrowly gives best to the Hankook all-season, but some may prefer the Vredestein’s superior dry ability. On the Skanska snow test it took a hard-fought victory at the front of a pack that was closed up by our test car’s ESP system. Care was needed applying power, but it held its line well.
On the slippery stuff, it just had the edge over the Hankook. It was the same in the dry tests, with the Vredestein proving the best in braking – although it was more than four metres behind the summer tyre. The rolling resistance result is more worrying, as the Quatrac will use three per cent more fuel than the Pirelli.
The Vredestein has to give best to our all-season choice in the wet, where the Hankook had the edge, although it may have been closer in warmer temperatures.
If performance in the dry is important to you, this is a better choice than the Hankook.
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3And how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie IIItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4SBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3 - currently readingTop all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus VierAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests