Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2
Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
Last year’s winner has to settle for runner-up spot this time around. It’s a different pattern, but like last year’s UltraGrip 7+, it’s the tyre to be on when roads are covered with snow.
It was consistently near the top of the results for the Swedish tests, proving one of the best around the swooping Skanska track and holding the line longer through tight turns than rivals. In the wet of the cold Contidrom it failed to match its prowess on the snow, but was by no means disgraced as it ended up a second or so behind the winner on the handling track.
While it was unable to do the lap time, it felt safe, with good grip on the power through turns and a decent balance. On the dry circuit it was more than a second off the pace of the grippy Vredestein, but compared better to its winter competitors.
It was a similar story with braking, stopping within half a metre of the best winter pattern. There are better tyres for fuel economy, but the UltraGrip was only a little way off the leaders.
Secure on snow, but advantage isn’t quite enough to overcome performance elsewhere.
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3And how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2 - currently readingStrong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie IIItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4SBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus VierAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests