Hankook Optimo 4S
Best all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
Our pick of the all-season tyres, but it was close, with only the Optimo’s wet performance giving it victory over Vredestein. Both tyres make a good case for all-season patterns, as they beat their winter rivals in dry braking, and were near the top on the handling track.
Winter patterns had the edge on the white stuff, but the Hankook and Vredestein were close, and miles ahead of the summer alternative. The Optimo struggled to get on terms around the Skanska track, where it had less grip than the Vredestein, and was two seconds behind its rival. It also needed almost three more metres to stop on snow when compared to the winning winter tyre. The temperature dependent wet tests suited it better, with second in braking and fourth for handling.
The Hankook also performed well in the wet and dry tests, although rolling resistance was a letdown. So this is a compromise tyre during both seasonal extremes, but some will consider it to be a compromise worth making at this price.
The all-season tyre to go for, with relatively small compromises in winter and summer use.
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3And how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie IIItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4S - currently readingBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus VierAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4DPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests