Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D
Pre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests
The timing of our test counted against this new tyre from Dunlop, as it was too early for a production version to be supplied. For that reason, we’ve not given it an overall ranking.
But if the production tyre performs like our sample did, Dunlop has a great product on its hands: It would have finished third, with 99.1 per cent. And at the price we found it for, it will be the preferred option for some.
It was most effective in the dry, with a good rolling resistance result, and was fractions behind the winning Vredestein in braking and handling tests. It also topped the slalom test. On the snow handling track, it had good turn-in, with little rear movement, which inspired confidence.
It was also effective at stopping on snow, bringing the car to a halt in 20 metres – only 30 centimetres behind the best. The same consistency was carried into the wet tests, where it again turned in well. It did lose grip as lock was increased, although it always felt safe and progressive.
If the production version is anything like our sample, then the Dunlop is a good option.
In this review
- 1IntroductionChanging tyres could be the key to staying on the move this winter. Our comprehensive guide explains why you should swap - and puts nine top brands to the test
- 2Summer: Continental ContiSportContact 3And how does a summer tyre compare?
- 3Continental ContiWinterContact TS 830 PStrong results across all conditions ensured victory for firm’s winter tyre
- 4Goodyear UltraGrip Performance 2Strong performance on snow helped Winter tyre come second
- 5Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie IIItalian winter rubber really shines when the roads get wet
- 6Hankook Optimo 4SBest all-season choice is a real jack-of-all trades
- 7Vredestein Quatrac 3Top all-season snow handler also impresses on dry roads
- 8Nankang Snow SV-2Budget Winter option is not up to scratch in the wet
- 9Kumho Solus VierAll-season offering falls short in most conditions
- 10Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D - currently readingPre-production Dunlop Winter tyre was consistent in all tests