The best polish and wax
Restoring your car’s showroom shine can be hard work, so you want the results to last. These products will help
What’s the difference between polish and wax? And do I need to apply both? It’s a lot of work… The distinctions have become blurred, but you first polish the car to treat the surface, then wax it to seal in the finish. Polishes have tiny abrasives that smooth the lacquer, letting the colour shine through. A wax protects this, adding depth and allowing dirty water to bead off paint. However, many products claim to be both a wax and a polish.
Can I protect my glass and wheels with the same product I use to wax the bodywork? For the best results, it’s worth having a specialist product for each surface. A rain repellent will help protect your glass, and there are some polishes to remove fine scratches, but you should never use a car wax on windows. Rims will benefit from a sealant, although dedicated wheel waxes are designed to cope with the heat of brakes.
- 1IntroductionOur experts name the best car care kit and accessories from the past 12 months
- 2Product of the Year: PURE Highway 300DiClever add-on is a breakthrough for in-car digital radio, making it a realistic proposition at a great-value price
- 3The best smartphone appThere’s a raft of apps to make drivers’ lives easier. We name two we can’t live without
- 4The best tool bagCarrying tools in your car? Keep them organised and protect your boot as we name our three best buys from 10 soft bags
- 5The best road atlasTotal reliance on sat-nav can get you into trouble. We pick three of the best printed road atlases from the 12 tested
- 6The best winter tyreWhich are better: winter or all-season tyres? Our test of 10 covered both as we picked out four of the leading choices
- 7The best summer tyreOnly the best tyres excel in our thorough assessments – and we name the top three out of our 10 tested tyres
- 8The best polish and wax - currently readingRestoring your car’s showroom shine can be hard work, so you want the results to last. These products will help
- 9The best bumper shineGet the exterior plastic looking fantastic to retain your car’s showroom feel – and protect it in the long term
- 10The best tyre shineSpray-on treatments not only give your tyres a real shine, they also provide lasting protection