Exide X-Tra Plus
This wasn’t the outright best performer, but no other product here can beat this battery’s trade-off between output and price
Price: £45.43Guarantee: Four yearsContact: Exide 0845 450 2400, www.exideuk.co.uk
This wasn’t the outright best performer, but no other product here can beat this battery’s trade-off between output and price. The impressive spec of 45 AH and 450 cranking amps achieved five starts after 24 hours in the freezer, a strong performance in the part discharged cranking test, and just over four hours of keeping our test bulb illuminated.
In this review
- 1IntroductionOn a charge to find the best car battery from 8 top buys
- 2UKBatteries ValueValue by name but not by price or performance, judging by our test
- 3UKBatteries Platinum PrestigeThis first offering from UKBatteries couldn’t be more different from its Value battery
- 4Odyssey PC 925Flat-plate AGM technology means stunning performance from a battery that’s actually smaller than the 063s in the group
- 5Lucas Premium 3Yuasa is no longer supplying batteries to Lucas, but this doesn’t seem to have been detrimental to their performance
- 6Exide ExcellOne of the few batteries tested here to be priced under the £40 barrier, which makes its average performance in the test rather more acceptable.
- 7Numax PremiumA commended performer in our last big battery test, but the Numax Premium couldn’t repeat that kind of result this time around
- 8Exide Maxxima 900DCOur first AGM battery boasts 900 amps of cranking power, despite not being much bigger than a standard 063 casing
- 9Exide X-Tra Plus - currently readingThis wasn’t the outright best performer, but no other product here can beat this battery’s trade-off between output and price
- 10Halfords StandardA surprisingly good battery, considering it’s from Halfords’ standard range