Tyre test 2019: results by category
Focus on SUVs brings in new victor
It’s been some time since we ventured beyond saloon and hatchback sizes for our tyre test, and the switch to SUV tyres has certainly shaken up the usual competitive order. We’ve also seen characteristics that we expect from certain brands fail to materialise.
At the bottom of the table, Michelin’s ‘good-on-fuel, less-good-in-wet’ result was a surprise because its recent tyres have been much more balanced. Sharing last place is Cooper, although it is showing its age, particularly on fuel economy.
Hankook did its usual solid job, while Continental did not: there’ll be questions asked in Hanover. Goodyear and Dunlop were closely matched, while our top two were also hard to split. Nokian takes its first summer-tyre win from Falken, but both are ideally suited to the demands of SUVs.
Results by Category
It’s not quite as economical or quiet as its rivals, but the Powerproof is great to drive on, and a sound all-round choice for UK roads.
In this review
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best tyres for your car? We test eight different SUV specific tyres to match their rising popularity to see which is best
- 21. Nokian PowerproofWell deserved win for Nokian, with a balanced performance across wet and dry tests
- 32. Falken Azenis FK510 SUVImpressive all-round result from Falken which performed well and, importantly, felt good to drive.
- 4=3. Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2 SUVDecent all-round performance makes this a good option for SUV owners
- 5=3. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5Promising test debut, with good performance in the wet, but less good at the pumps
- 65. Continental PremiumContact 6A winner at the pumps and easy on the wallet, but you pay a price in the wet
- 76. Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 SUVQuiet and very safe in poor conditions,although dry grip needs work
- 8=7. Cooper Zeon 4XS SportThe Zeon 4XS Sport is showing its age when it comes to fuel consumption
- 9=7. Michelin Primacy 4A surprise result for Michelin, which had shrugged off its good-on-fuel, poor-in-wet reputation
- 10Results by category - currently readingFocus on SUVs brings in new victor