Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System
When it comes to drama, the sight of tweeters rising from the A8’s dash takes some beating – as does the sound they create.
When it comes to drama, the sight of tweeters rising from the A8’s dash takes some beating – as does the sound they create. They use the same Acoustic Lens Technology as in the Mercedes S-Class (below) and to similar effect, with a real sound purity. This combines with the superb electronics to give an encompassing surround-sound experience.
As with the Merc the bass is powerful, but the excellence of the tweeters overshadows it, so the bass can sound like it’s playing catch-up, especially on thumping dance tracks. Fast drums sound crisp and clear, while the mid-range is more detailed and expressive than in the Merc. Better door speaker positioning helps. Audi’s MMI control system is a step ahead of that in any other car here: it’s intuitive and has a high-quality feel, as you’d expect. And while the Advanced Sound System isn’t cheap, it’s less expensive than the B&O upgrade in the Merc – and sounds better.
In this review
- 1IntroductionTop-end cars call for top-end sounds. Here’s our pick of the best available
- 2Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System - currently readingWhen it comes to drama, the sight of tweeters rising from the A8’s dash takes some beating – as does the sound they create.
- 3Bose Premium Surround SoundThis system has the most unusually sited tweeters – two in each seat, at shoulder height
- 4Meridian Surround Sound SystemThe Evoque is the first example of Jaguar Land Rover’s new partnership with Cambridge-based Meridian, and the signs are good for a fine system in the imminent new Range Rover.
- 5Mark Levinson Reference SurroundMark Levinson led the way for top in-car audio, and still supplies Lexus exclusively.
- 6Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG
- 7Burmester High-end Surround Sound SystemBurmester might not be a household name in the UK, but in Germany it’s synonymous with high-end hi-fi.
- 8Meridian Surround SoundJaguar has made the bold decision to switch audio supplier from Bowers & Wilkins to Meridian