Meridian Surround Sound
Jaguar has made the bold decision to switch audio supplier from Bowers & Wilkins to Meridian
Jaguar has made the bold decision to switch audio supplier from Bowers & Wilkins to Meridian. Has the move paid off? Yes. Meridian debuts in the range-topping XJ Ultimate with a superb 20-speaker system. Again, look further than the 825-watt output figure (it’s measured on a different scale to some apparently more powerful systems). What makes the Meridian special is its detail and control.
Bass is a highlight: powerful, punchy and crisp. And while higher-frequency sounds may not be as clear and pure as in Audi’s B&O set-up, the blend from top to bottom sounds more natural. As does Meridian’s Trifield surround tech, creating a seamless and natural surround stage. Ideal for discovering sounds in your music you hadn’t heard before.
In this review
- 1IntroductionTop-end cars call for top-end sounds. Here’s our pick of the best available
- 2Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound SystemWhen it comes to drama, the sight of tweeters rising from the A8’s dash takes some beating – as does the sound they create.
- 3Bose Premium Surround SoundThis system has the most unusually sited tweeters – two in each seat, at shoulder height
- 4Meridian Surround Sound SystemThe Evoque is the first example of Jaguar Land Rover’s new partnership with Cambridge-based Meridian, and the signs are good for a fine system in the imminent new Range Rover.
- 5Mark Levinson Reference SurroundMark Levinson led the way for top in-car audio, and still supplies Lexus exclusively.
- 6Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG
- 7Burmester High-end Surround Sound SystemBurmester might not be a household name in the UK, but in Germany it’s synonymous with high-end hi-fi.
- 8Meridian Surround Sound - currently readingJaguar has made the bold decision to switch audio supplier from Bowers & Wilkins to Meridian