Best classic cars 2019: our top 10 sports car classics
Which is the best classic sports car? AC, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lotus, MG and Porsche all make compelling cases
Sales of classic car have been climbing to incredible highs in recent years, with the price for some of the best and most desirable classic cars stretching to six, seven and even eight figures. Classic car prices were boosted when interest rates fell away and they began look more attractive as investment opportunities, but there’s nothing new about the appeal of owning a rare and collectable piece of automotive history.
The best classic cars will always enjoy strong demand from the global market and the high sale prices we’ve seen in recent years seem unlikely to be a flash in the pan. Of all the elderly motors out there, classic sports cars are always amongst the most popular and valuable. Not only do they represent a potentially smart financial investment, but they also offer the potential for big driving thrills, if owners are brave enough to take them out on the road or even race track.
That being said, look through the classifieds or auction catalogues and you will see everything from optimistic restoration projects and barn finds, to affordable classics and the top echelon of historic models and concours rebuilds.
With so much choice and such big money at stake, the world of classic cars can be a tricky one to navigate. If a vehicle is incredibly cheap, it is most likely that way for a reason. If you cannot find a reason, it might be best to seek professional advice to make sure you are not being sold a rust coated nightmare.
While the above may sound a bit like doom and gloom, picking the right classic sports car will bring you one step closer to living, and driving, the dream. To help steer you in the right direction, we’ve chosen 10 of our all-time favourite classic sports cars, which include something for all budgets – including Euromillions lottery winners.
We’ve got famous exotics from the likes of AC Cars, BMW, Jaguar, Ferrari and Porsche to tempt you with, and more affordable options from Lotus, MG and Sunbeam, which will be a whole lot cheaper to buy and own. But if there isn't something for you in our best classic sports cars selection don't worry, as there’s a whole world of other options out there waiting to be discovered.
Click the links below or at the top left of the page to read about our top 10 classic sports cars, or see our list of the best cheap sports cars
Best classic sports cars 2019
- 1Introduction - currently readingWhich is the best classic sports car? AC, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lotus, MG and Porsche all make compelling cases
- 2Jaguar E-TypeEnzo Ferrari called the Jaguar E-Type the most beautiful car ever when new. Half a century hasn't jaded the looks!
- 3MGBOnce Great Britain's most ubiquitous sports car, today the MGB is a popular and affordable classic
- 4Ferrari 250 GTIf you don't go weak at the knees in the presence of a Ferrari 250 GT, we suggest seeking medical help
- 5AC CobraCarroll Shelby's iconic Cobra is the legendary snake that has inspired a legion of fakes...
- 6Porsche 911Early Porsche 911 tick lots of classic car boxes. They're rare, desirable, and still highly relevant today
- 7Ferrari Daytona174mph and stunning front-engined design are all part of what makes the Ferrari Daytona rock
- 8BMW 507Elvis Presley bought two BMW 507s, but it was so pricey that too few others bought just one...
- 9Lotus SevenSuper light, super agile and super cool - if you don't need practicality from your classic, try this early Lotus
- 10Austin-Healey 3000The hairy-chested 'Big Healey' 3000 is as desirable now, as it was back in the 1950s and '60s
- 11Sunbeam AlpineNot quite a Ford Thunderbird in miniature, but the Sunbeam Alpine spawned a genuine muscle car