Used Car Awards 2010
We count down the finest second-hand buys in 14 key classes of the market. So which is the model for you?
The latest 60-reg plate has been out for a couple of weeks – but if a brand new model is out of reach, don’t panic. Over the next 10 pages, our annual Used Car Awards name the best buys in 14 key sectors of the second-hand market, covering everything from tiny city cars to gigantic 4x4s.
As well as picking a winner, we recommend two further choices: one for buyers on a budget and another for those looking to splash out on a nearly new model. Once we’ve identified 42 great pre-owned buys, we crown our Used Car of the Year – and for the first time in ages, it isn’t the Ford Focus!
Read on to find out where to start looking for you next second-hand motor...
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingWe count down the finest second-hand buys in 14 key classes of the market. So which is the model for you?
- 2Best Used City CarWith its superb build quality and low price-tag, the Korean Hyundai i10 takes the city car award for the second year running.
- 3Best Used Luxury CarLuxury cars can be an expensive proposition to buy and run, but pick up any of our top cars and you won't regret it.
- 4Best Used Estate CarIt's another strong Skoda performance at our used car awards, with the Czech brand taking the top spot in the estate class with the Octavia.
- 5Best Used SuperminiSupermini buyers are spoilt for choice, with a number of good-looking cheap cars that are fun to drive, we pick our favourites.
- 6Best Used Family CarThe current Ford Mondeo is a real class-leader, and its price just keeps coming down, making it a steal in the classifieds.
- 7Best Used Executive CarThe competitive executive sector is a great place to pick up a used bargain, with loads of ex-fleet models around, which is the best choice?
- 8Best Used Large SUVThe cars wearing Land Rover's Green Oval might be pricy these days, but as this award proves, they're worth the extra cash.
- 9Best Used Hot HatchThe latest generation of the Golf GTI topped our New Car Awards hot hatch short list, can its older brother do enough to win here?
- 10Best Used Compact SUVThere are plenty of tough small off-roaders on the market, but which one do we think is best?
- 11Best Used CabrioletDrop-tops are a firm British favourite, but can the Audi A4 keep hold of its crown for yet another year?
- 12Best Used MPVWe give you the low-down on the best used people carriers around, and what to watch out for.
- 13Best Used Compact Family CarThe Ford Focus has been our used car champion for the last two years, does it do enough to win it's class this year?
- 14Best Used CoupéTwo-door models are all about their looks, so what do we think is the most handsome prospect in the second-hand coupé market?
- 15Best Used Compact ExecutiveBMW's 3-series tops the compact executive class, just beating its German rivals from Audi and Mercedes.
- 161st Used Car of the Year 2010We name the car that takes the ultimate honour at this year's awards, and it's a new winner for 2010, so what beat the Focus to top spot?