Range Rover Evoque vs rivals
Our Car of the Year faces its toughest challenge yet, as the coupe and five-door versions go up against class-leading rivals
Car group tests
- New Range Rover Evoque PHEV 2020 review
- New Range Rover Evoque D180 2019 review
- New Range Rover Evoque 2019 review
- New Range Rover Evoque ride review
- New Range Rover Evoque prototype off-road review
Used car tests
Spotting a new market segment is one thing, but exploiting it is another matter entirely. For this reason, Range Rover deserves a great deal of credit – the Evoque has hit the bull’s eye. It was pretty much assured of success on its looks and desirable badge alone, but the great news for buyers is that it drives like a talented hatchback and has an interior that’s brimming with class and character. Picking between our coupes here is no easy matter, and these two are sure to polarise opinion. In the end, the Evoque gets the nod for its must-have status, but if you want to make a more low-key choice, the Mercedes is the perfect substitute. The five-door version of the Range Rover takes a more clear-cut victory. Not only is it more stylish and desirable than the Audi, but it’s also cheaper, better to drive and has more kit. The SD4 diesel models are both expensive choices, though, so we can’t wait to try the more affordable versions. If they’re as good as these two, the compact executive car market looks set to be turned on its head.
Evoque vs C-Class
1. Range Rover Evoque
If you crave attention, nothing touches the Evoque for the money. High running costs are offset by the fact that it’s practical and fun.
2. Mercedes C250 CDI Coupe
The pragmatic choice. Handsome, good to drive, comfortable and practical, but style is critical, and it can’t quite match the Evoque.
Evoque vs Q5
1. Range Rover Evoque 5dr
Five-door sacrifices little in the way of style, but gains practicality. It makes more financial sense than Q5; fashionable families will love it.
2. Audi Q5 TDI S line
We can’t fault the Audi’s quality or capability, but it’s costly and dull in this company – the Evoque has upped the stakes in the SUV class.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingOur Car of the Year faces its toughest challenge yet, as the coupe and five-door versions go up against class-leading rivals
- 2Evoque SD4 5dr vs Audi Q5Five-door Evoque blends style and flexibility, but the Q5 is a very tough opponent
- 3Evoque Coupe vs Mercedes C250 CDI CoupeCan three-door really match classy, powerful Merc for sporty excitement?
- 4Facts and figures