1,400cc Club: The quirkiest and coolest 1.4-litre cars
Auto Express celebrates 1,400 issues by driving our favourite 1,400cc cars from the last 25 years
Auto Express has reached the incredible milestone of 1,400 issues, and to celebrate we’ve gathered together 10 of the quirkiest and coolest 1,400cc-engined cars of the last quarter of a century or so.
Like Auto Express itself, the fashion for 1.4-litres started in the late eighties, when the cheapest company car choices needed to have engines that squeezed in below the 1,400cc threshold. The way that Benefit in Kind tax is calculated has changed a lot since then, but the appeal of 1.4-litre models remains.
From the Rover 214, our first-ever cover star, to the ultra-modern Volkswagen Golf GTE and everything in between, the 1,400cc engine has been at the heart of some of the cleverest and most characterful cars to hit the UK’s roads.
So join us as we celebrate an Auto Express landmark with a very special road test gathering.
Plus don't forget you can pick up your copy of our special 1,400th issue in shops now.
Click the links below or on the left for the 1,400cc cars that have made our list.
In this review
- 1Introduction - currently readingAuto Express celebrates 1,400 issues by driving our favourite 1,400cc cars from the last 25 years
- 2Reliant Scimitar SSTReliant may have been most famous for its three-wheelers, but it has also dabbled in sports cars.
- 3Caterham Seven K SeriesClassic looks and modern tech are an enticing mix in a sports car, and the Caterham Seven Classic has them both.
- 4Volkswagen Polo BlueMotionEco-focused superminis are common now, but even in the late noughties that wasn’t the case
- 5Mercedes A140It’s easy to forget how influential the original A-Class was. Mercedes’ first people carrier was tall, but had a short wheelbase.
- 6Audi A2
- 7Volkswagen Golf GTE
- 8Vauxhall Nova 1.4SR Boxy styling and blistered wheelarches inspired a generation of car fans in the eighties, and the Vauxhall Nova SR was the aspirational warm hatch for young drivers who wanted thrills without the bills.
- 9Fiat Panda 100HPThe Fiat Group has used 1.4 power several times in its history
- 10Abarth 595C