Top 10 best cars for MPG and running costs
Driver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' MPG and running costs. These are the top ten highest rated
- Covering: Fuel economy, servicing costs and other expenses, such as road tax and insurance
- Winner: Polestar 2
- Score: 94.54%
There’s another feather in the cap of the Polestar 2, with owners voting it the most satisfying car to own for running costs, a category it wins by a decent margin. It’s electric of course, which, even with soaring electricity bills, means it has an intrinsic advantage over internal-combustion rivals.
But while the Polestar gets a pass in the MPG column, two second places for servicing costs and insurance ensure the car earns victory. Runner-up in the category is the MG5, another EV, which tops the insurance cost table and comes sixth for servicing costs.
Taking third is Hyundai’s Ioniq, which comes top of the table for economy, with respondents split 50:50 between hybrid and full-EV versions. A third place for insurance costs is another Ioniq positive, but the car can only manage 22nd for servicing costs, which prevents it from capitalising on other good scores.
“It’s the cheapest car I’ve ever had to insure, which helps to offset its price. Other costs are minimal because the servicing is included for three years.”
MPG and running costs top 10
|Model||Class||Overall Position||Overall Score||
|1. Polestar 2||Premium Mid to Large SUV||17th||90.94%||94.54%|
|2. MG5||Compact Family Car||66th||87.66%||93.24%|
|3. Hyundai Ioniq||Compact Family Car||11th||91.19%||93.09%|
|4. Citroen C4 Mk3||Compact Family Car||1st||93.39%||92.78%|
|5. Tesla Model 3||Executive||22nd||90.71%||91.95%|
|6. Kia Soul Mk3||Small SUV||18th||90.80%||91.09%|
|7. Dacia Duster Mk2||Small SUV||4th||91.75%||90.92%|
|8. Honda Jazz Mk3||Supermini||32nd||90.02%||90.43%|
|9. Citroen C5 Aircross||Mid to Large SUV||56th||88.46%||89.77%|
|10. Toyota Prius Mk4||Compact Family Car||8th||91.45%||89.50%|
Now tell us about your car in the Driver Power survey...
- 1IntroductionDriver Power, the UK’s most comprehensive car customer satisfaction survey, crowns the best cars by category
- 2Engines and gearboxesDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought of their cars' engines and gearboxes, here are the top 10 highest rated
- 3Infotainment, connectivity and electricsDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought of their cars' connectivity and tech, here are the top 10 highest rated
- 4Interior and comfortDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' interior and comfort, here are the top ten highest rated
- 5Exterior stylingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers what they thought about their cars' exterior. Here are the top ten highest rated.
- 6Practicality and boot spaceDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' practicality and boot space. These are the top ten highest rated
- 7Ride and handlingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' ride and handling, and these are the top ten highest rated
- 8Safety featuresDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' safety features. Here are the top ten highest rated
- 9MPG and running costs - currently readingDriver Power asked UK new car buyers about their cars' MPG and running costs. These are the top ten highest rated