Ford Fiesta - best first cars for new drivers
The Ford Fiesta is Britain's best-selling car, and makes the perfect first set of wheels
Not only is it easy to drive, and great fun, too, the Fiesta scores well with its raft of safety tech. This includes the clever MyKey system, which allows parents to restrict the maximum speed of the car, the stereo volume when their children are behind the wheel and set a seatbelt reminder. It also features seven airbags and ESP, plus optional autobrake.
Young drivers will be wowed by the technology the interior offers, including SYNC voice activation, while Titanium models upwards get air-conditioning. The Fiesta's larger dimensions mean they can also carry friends in comfort, and the three-door comes with a 292-litre boot, that expands to 1,093-litres with the seats down.
Diesel models return the lowest fuel consumption, but the cheaper 1.0-litre, 99bhp EcoBoost petrol versions return up to 50.4mpg and only drop to 48.7mpg for the 138bhp version. Go for a lower-powered Fiesta, and it’ll sit in a competitive insurance group, too, while the huge Ford dealer network makes it easy to keep up with the service intervals and get any problems resolved.
Top 10 best first cars for new drivers 2021
- 1IntroductionA new car for first time drivers should be cheap, easy to drive and safe. Here are the 10 best first cars
- 21. VW up!/Skoda Citigo/SEAT MiiThe VW Group trio are cheap to run, spacious, have plenty of tech and are fun to drive
- 32. Kia PicantoThe Kia Picanto is grown up thanks to a focus on refinement, but should still appeal to young drivers with sporty looks and great handling
- 43. Ford Fiesta - currently readingThe Ford Fiesta is Britain's best-selling car, and makes the perfect first set of wheels
- 54. SEAT IbizaThe SEAT Ibiza offers the practicality of Volkswagen Polo, but in a more youthful guise
- 65. Hyundai i10The Hyundai i10 has become a solid performer in the supermini segment safe handling, plenty of kit and reliability
- 76. Volkswagen PoloThe Polo is bigger than its predecessor and offers more tech, comfort and refinement
- 87. Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 108/Citroen C1The Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 108 trio offer funky looks and plenty of tech for a low cost
- 98. Skoda FabiaThe Skoda Fabia offers VW Group refinement and technology in a practical and cheaper package
- 109. Dacia SanderoThe Dacia Sandero is a budget supermini that gets the basics right with no frills attached
- 1110. Vauxhall CorsaThe Vauxhall Corsa is an attractive car for young drivers - blending practicality with inexpensive running costs at a cheap price-tag