Volkswagen Polo - best first cars for new drivers
The Polo is bigger than its predecessor and offers more tech, comfort and refinement
The Volkswagen Polo looks a little tame compared to some of its funkier rivals, but it has lots to offer as a first car for new drivers.
The Polo fits between the VW up! and the Golf, so it’s a relatively affordable first step into VW ownership. That makes it a great intro to a world of peerless build quality, impressive refinement, strong reliability and fuel efficiency – all factors that add up to strong resale values when it’s time to move on.
The 1.0 TSI 95PS returns over 50.4mpg and is relatively inexpensive when bought in SE spec. We are well practiced in driving the 1.0 TSI engine with 94bhp, and it continues to impress in the new Polo. Opt for a DSG gearbox as well and you will be able to hit 62mph in 10.8 seconds. Unsurprisingly, the 1.6-litre diesel returns the best mpg with 55.4mpg although this will only appeal to those doing more motorway miles.
The base model ‘S’ comes with electric front windows, autonomous emergency braking, ABS and manual air-conditioning. The Polo also comes with the option of Sport Select, which provides the driver with adjustable and a number of driving modes. While this still doesn’t make it as fun to drive as the Ford Fiesta, you can still have an enjoyable time behind the wheel of a Polo.
Top 10 best first cars for new drivers 2019
- 1IntroductionA new car for first time drivers should be cheap, easy to drive and safe. Here are the 10 best first cars
- 21. VW up!/Skoda Citigo/SEAT MiiThe VW Group trio are cheap to run, spacious, have plenty of tech and are fun to drive
- 32. Kia PicantoThe Kia Picanto is grown up thanks to a focus on refinement, but should still appeal to young drivers with sporty looks and great handling
- 43. Ford FiestaThe Ford Fiesta is Britain's best-selling car, and makes the perfect first set of wheels
- 54. SEAT IbizaThe SEAT Ibiza offers the practicality of Volkswagen Polo, but in a more youthful guise
- 65. Hyundai i10The Hyundai i10 has become a solid performer in the supermini segment safe handling, plenty of kit and reliability
- 76. Volkswagen Polo - currently readingThe Polo is bigger than its predecessor and offers more tech, comfort and refinement
- 87. Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 108/Citroen C1The Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 108 trio offer funky looks and plenty of tech for a low cost
- 98. Skoda FabiaThe Skoda Fabia offers VW Group refinement and technology in a practical and cheaper package
- 109. Dacia SanderoThe Dacia Sandero is a budget supermini that gets the basics right with no frills attached
- 1110. Vauxhall CorsaThe Vauxhall Corsa is an attractive car for young drivers - blending practicality with inexpensive running costs at a cheap price-tag