Hyundai i10 - best first cars for new drivers
The Hyundai i10 has become a solid performer in the supermini segment safe handling, plenty of kit and reliability
It's not the most stylish city car around, but the Hyundai i10 is a reliable and surprisingly roomy all-rounder that will help build confidence in new drivers. Like the closely related Kia Picanto, there are 1.0- and 1.2-litre petrol engines on offer with either 66bhp or 86bhp, and like the Picanto we'd recommend the smaller engine here, because it has more than enough performance. The cheaper 1.0-litre is also more fuel efficient, returning 50.4mpg compared to the 1.2’s 46.3mpg.
The entry-level ‘S’ sits in insurance group 2 which should help save young drivers from paying hefty insurance premiums. If you're a new driver, then you'll need to build confidence, especially on motorways. And the i10 really helps, because it doesn't feel out of its depth at higher speeds. There's just enough power to keep pace with other traffic, but more importantly the car's wide track means it feels stable where some small cars will feel wobbly.
And just like the Picanto, you get plenty of kit for your money, too. There are electric windows, air-conditioning and a decent stereo with MP3 connectivity and Bluetooth, while top-spec cars offer a 7-inch touchscreen with sat-nav to help you find your way. Mid-spec PLAY models and up receive Android Auto and Apple CarPlay as standard and the i10 does all this for a competitive price, while Hyundai's standard five-year warranty brings added peace of mind.
Top 10 best first cars for new drivers 2021
- 1IntroductionA new car for first time drivers should be cheap, easy to drive and safe. Here are the 10 best first cars
- 21. VW up!/Skoda Citigo/SEAT MiiThe VW Group trio are cheap to run, spacious, have plenty of tech and are fun to drive
- 32. Kia PicantoThe Kia Picanto is grown up thanks to a focus on refinement, but should still appeal to young drivers with sporty looks and great handling
- 43. Ford FiestaThe Ford Fiesta is Britain's best-selling car, and makes the perfect first set of wheels
- 54. SEAT IbizaThe SEAT Ibiza offers the practicality of Volkswagen Polo, but in a more youthful guise
- 65. Hyundai i10 - currently readingThe Hyundai i10 has become a solid performer in the supermini segment safe handling, plenty of kit and reliability
- 76. Volkswagen PoloThe Polo is bigger than its predecessor and offers more tech, comfort and refinement
- 87. Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 108/Citroen C1The Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 108 trio offer funky looks and plenty of tech for a low cost
- 98. Skoda FabiaThe Skoda Fabia offers VW Group refinement and technology in a practical and cheaper package
- 109. Dacia SanderoThe Dacia Sandero is a budget supermini that gets the basics right with no frills attached
- 1110. Vauxhall CorsaThe Vauxhall Corsa is an attractive car for young drivers - blending practicality with inexpensive running costs at a cheap price-tag