Skoda Fabia - best first cars for new drivers
The Skoda Fabia offers VW Group refinement and technology in a practical and cheaper package
In keeping with Skoda’s ‘simply clever’ philosophy, the Fabia can have plenty of helpful touches like luggage hooks in the boots, a holster for multimedia devices, a variable boot floor and a bike carrier.
If boot space is a priority, there is an estate version with 1,150 litres, although the standard hatch’s 330-litres is one of the best you’ll find in a supermini. Cabin space is also excellent with plenty of room for adults in the rear seats.
The plain exterior is mirrored on the inside, although its well-built and has an impressive level of tech. As part of the 2018 refresh, S models and up gain a 6.5-inch colour touchscreen with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto incorporated into the slick infotainment system.
The cheaper, less powerful 59bhp, 1.0-litre MPI will return 47.9mpg on the WLTP cycle, but it's the 94bhp 1.0-litre TSI which is more fuel efficient, returning 51.4mpg.
Top 10 best first cars for new drivers 2019
- 1IntroductionA new car for first time drivers should be cheap, easy to drive and safe. Here are the 10 best first cars
- 21. VW up!/Skoda Citigo/SEAT MiiThe VW Group trio are cheap to run, spacious, have plenty of tech and are fun to drive
- 32. Kia PicantoThe Kia Picanto is grown up thanks to a focus on refinement, but should still appeal to young drivers with sporty looks and great handling
- 43. Ford FiestaThe Ford Fiesta is Britain's best-selling car, and makes the perfect first set of wheels
- 54. SEAT IbizaThe SEAT Ibiza offers the practicality of Volkswagen Polo, but in a more youthful guise
- 65. Hyundai i10The Hyundai i10 has become a solid performer in the supermini segment safe handling, plenty of kit and reliability
- 76. Volkswagen PoloThe Polo is bigger than its predecessor and offers more tech, comfort and refinement
- 87. Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 108/Citroen C1The Toyota Aygo, Citroen C1 and Peugeot 108 trio offer funky looks and plenty of tech for a low cost
- 98. Skoda Fabia - currently readingThe Skoda Fabia offers VW Group refinement and technology in a practical and cheaper package
- 109. Dacia SanderoThe Dacia Sandero is a budget supermini that gets the basics right with no frills attached
- 1110. Vauxhall CorsaThe Vauxhall Corsa is an attractive car for young drivers - blending practicality with inexpensive running costs at a cheap price-tag