Ford Focus Estate review - Reliability and Safety
Impressive safety tech puts the Focus Estate at the head of the compact pack
There’s a lot of advanced technology in the latest Focus line-up, and some of the most impressive kit is designed with safety in mind.
The new C2 platform and body combines to generate 40 percent more frontal impact absorption than before, we’re told, while the array of driver assistance features includes Evasive Steering Assist that helps you avoid impacts should the autonomous emergency braking kick in.
The Brake Assist now recognises pedestrians and cyclists as well as other cars, while the Co-Pilot360 adaptive cruise control can bring you right down to a standstill on the motorway with no driver intervention. Traffic sign recognition and lane assist are also in the Focus portfolio, along with cross-traffic alerts and blind spot monitoring. As you’d expect the new Ford also scores an impressive five stars in the Euro NCAP crash tests.
The new C2 platform and much of the tech is untested on the reliability front of course, but Ford has been making positive strides in that direction with the previous Focus appearing in the top half of our Driver Power satisfaction survey. New Focus owners will hope an upward trend develops. However, it should be noted that Ford finished a lowly 24th out of 30 manufacturers in our 2020 poll of best brands.
Standard warranty cover is three years and 60,000 miles, but you can pay more to extend up to five years and 100,000 miles.
Expect to pay around £500 for the first three years of maintenance, including two routine stops for servicing.
In this review
- 1Ford Focus Estate reviewThe estate option adds another dimension to the fun-driving and family-friendly Ford Focus line-up
- 2Engines, performance and driveGreat handling that’s indistinguishable for hatch models makes the Focus Estate the driver’s choice in the class
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsThree-pot engines with cylinder deactivation help make the Focus Estate a fuel-sipper
- 4Interior, design and technologyThe most practical Focus is a technological tour de force wrapped in swoopy styling
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Focus Estate offers extra rear headroom as well as more luggage space than the hatch
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingImpressive safety tech puts the Focus Estate at the head of the compact pack