Jeep Compass review - Reliability and safety
The Compass has excellent safety scores, and much of its tech is tried and tested
While the previous Compass was no great shakes on the safety front, with a two-star rating from Euro NCAP, the latest one is a far more attractive proposition - tested in 2017 and earning the maximum five-star score.
Adult occupant protection was awarded a laudable 90 per cent protection rating, while child accident protection scored 83 per cent; the Compass only has two sets of Isofix mounts in the rear seats.
Among the safety features that will be included on various trim levels is Jeep’s Forward Collision Warning, Blind Spot Information System, front and rear parking sensors and a rear-view reversing camera. Four-wheel-drive versions obviously benefit from the added traction that this provides in wintry conditions, which will be of special interest to owners in out-of-town locations.
Much of the Compass’s engine, platform and electronics technology has already been tried and tested on the Renegade, so reliability should be sound. Build quality is good too, so we don’t envisage too many problems.
Jeep offers the Compass with a standard three-year warranty, although you can extend cover for up to two more years at extra cost.
Servicing intervals for the Compass are annually or every 12,500 miles. Jeep offers a range of maintenance packages tailored to the age and mileage of your car.
In this review
- 1Jeep Compass reviewStylish, comfortable and more usable off-road than the average crossover, the Jeep Compass has plenty to offer
- 2Engines, performance and driveTerrific off-road, especially in Trailhawk spec, but the Compass loses ground to rivals on tarmac
- 3MPG, CO2 and Running CostsLatest Jeep models are pretty efficient, with the 4xe plug-in hybrid model offering around 30 miles of all-electric drive
- 4Interior, design and technologyCrisp exterior style has showroom appeal, while refreshed interior adds extra quality and onboard tech
- 5Practicality, comfort and boot spaceThe Jeep Compass is spacious and roomy, in spite of its sporty roofline
- 6Reliability and Safety - currently readingThe Compass has excellent safety scores, and much of its tech is tried and tested