BMW M5 Competition - best performance cars
The BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
The current BMW M5 shocked everyone when it was revealed to be four wheel-drive. Any suspicions that the best super saloon over the past 30 years had forgotten its driver focused roots were quickly forgotten however, thanks to the regular M5’s brilliant driving dynamics.
The Competition version adds 24bhp over the previous standard car to deliver 616bhp from the familiar twin-turbo 4.4-litre V8 set up. The upgrades sound minimal but together they deliver a noticeable difference over the regular model.
A firmer ride at slower speed is caused by a 7mm ride height drop and 10 per cent stiffer springs which also means the M5 hunkers down in the bends and provides improved cornering. Camber adjustment creates a precise turn-in and the steering is well-weighted, as a result the Competition feels much more nimble and agile than its size would suggest.
The price for the M5 Competition starts at just over £100,000. If you want to best super saloon available, the Competition is the one to go for.
Top 10 best performance cars 2021
- 1IntroductionWe run through the top ten performance cars on sale in the UK right now
- 21. Porsche 911 Mixing supercar-baiting speed with day-to-day useability, the Porsche 911 is a tour-de-force in the performance car market
- 32. McLaren 570SAll the driving thrills you'd expect - the McLaren 570S is an amazingly capable supercar.
- 43. Aston Martin VantageThe Aston Martin Vantage is a supremely capable sports car - ready and able to take on the Porsche 911.
- 54. Ferrari F8 TributoThe F8 Tributo's huge technical ability makes performance on the limit easier to reach and control.
- 65. Porsche 718 Cayman/BoxsterSwitch to four-cylinder power hasn't failed to dilute the Porsche 718 Cayman’s excellent driving experience
- 76. Alpine A110The lightweight Alpine A110 delivers a pure driving experience to go along with its quirky retro looks.
- 87. Caterham SevenFancy a classic British sports car experience from a brand new car? Look no further than the Caterham Seven.
- 98. BMW M5 Competition - currently readingThe BMW M5 Competition makes the best super saloon even more super
- 109. Honda Civic Type RWhile the looks are an acquired taste, there's no arguing with the Honda Civic Type R's ability
- 1110. Ford Fiesta STThe Ford Fiesta ST cements the brand’s reputation as a reliable maker of thrilling hot hatches