Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017: Peugeot 3008
The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
The mid-size SUV category is one of the most hotly contested classes around, with the standard improving every year – and for 2017 it’s the Peugeot 3008 that takes the crown as our favourite.
Core to that is the brand’s 1.2-litre PureTech three-cylinder petrol turbo. Given all the bad press surrounding diesel power recently, a convincing petrol alternative is likely to prove crucial in the future – and here the 3008 offers one of the best engines around, with CO2 emissions of 117g/km and a claimed 55.4mpg. It’s a willing performer, too, with a good spread of torque in the mid-range that means you needn’t rev the unit too hard. This helps refinement; the 3008’s strongest trait.
Modern design is another strength, and inside the 3008 things have taken an even bigger step forward. It boasts a hi-tech digital evolution of the brand’s i-Cockpit cabin, plus a cosseting feel and plush materials, and certainly scores on quality.
Even entry-level models come well equipped, with all cars featuring a digital dash, eight-inch touchscreen and safety features such as autonomous braking. Higher-spec versions are bursting with the kind of tech you’d expect to find on more expensive premium SUVs, too.
Space and practicality are plentiful, not least thanks to the 591-litre boot, while there’s impressive rear legroom. That’s due to the 3008’s scalable EMP2 platform, which has also delivered big improvements when it comes to ride and handling. Long-travel dampers and a plush set-up mean the car offers plenty of comfort and refinement on the move, yet it still feels agile and composed through bends.
Together, the 3008’s hi-tech approach, impressive refinement and class-leading comfort add up to one of the most complete Peugeots we’ve seen in recent years. It’s a truly worthy winner in this tough class.
Peugeot 3008 1.2 PureTech Allure (£24,295)
While the diesels are refined, the 3008 is at its best when fitted with Peugeot’s excellent 1.2-litre three-cylinder petrol turbo. It’s punchy, economical at a cruise and hushed, while Allure trim adds desirable kit such as sat-nav and extra safety gear to offer even greater peace of mind for a family SUV.
This second-generation CX-5 refines the concept with even more style, refinement and quality. Alongside this, the Mazda’s impressive ride and handling make it a fun and focused SUV without sacrificing comfort. The diesels are great performers and offer strong efficiency, too.
The 3008’s toughest challenge comes from the Ateca, which also offers a blend of practicality and efficiency in a more driver-focused package. Behind the smart exterior is a slightly staid cabin, yet the SEAT is great to drive. While some versions are firm, the handling is nimble and the engines strong.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended