Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017: Land Rover Discovery
The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
This British success story arguably marks one of the biggest steps in the Disco’s 28-year history. Not only has the styling moved on dramatically to give the car a much more modern look, while retaining some typical Discovery characteristics such as the stepped roof and clamshell bonnet, but you can now get the model with a 237bhp twin-turbo version of Land Rover’s 2.0-litre four-cylinder Ingenium diesel engine. This makes the Land Rover more efficient than ever, thanks in part to a new monocoque chassis that uses plenty of aluminium to shave up to 480kg off the old car’s kerbweight.
Slashing bulk has reduced emissions, too, so the four-cylinder diesel has a respectable 171g/km CO2 figure. Yet the Discovery still pulls well and offers plenty of refinement, with a diesel growl only evident on full throttle at higher revs. With an identical 3,500kg towing limit to the V6 diesel, you don’t lose much in the way of versatility, either.
Taking mass out has allowed Land Rover to put plenty of tech in, so the Discovery comes loaded with advanced features. The rear seats fold remotely using the brand’s Intelligent Seat Fold tech as part of its smartphone app, or by using the 10-inch touchscreen, and kit such as Trailer Assist helps you reverse when hitched up. A WiFi hotspot, USB charging points for all occupants and the ability to sync your Apple Watch with the car highlight the tech on offer.
The firm’s Terrain Response 2 system means the Discovery is also imperious off-road, as any Land Rover should be. However, it’s the refinement, relaxing, floating ride and luxury on offer that really grab you.
The car now offers Range Rover quality with even more tech at a more affordable price. Factor in the superior practicality compared with its rivals, and the Discovery offers the best blend of high-end feel and usability in the most convincing package in its class.
Land Rover Discovery Sd4 HSE (£57,495)
HSE spec is the best balance of kit and cost. With the luxurious feel you’d expect from a high-end SUV and the robust quality Land Rover has become famous for, the Discovery’s breadth of ability is incredible. It’s a great family car that offers refinement, technology and space. It moves the game on another step.
Tesla Model X
With its gullwing rear doors, brilliant infotainment and stunning performance given its size, the all-electric Tesla Model X offers a different take on the luxury large SUV formula. Genuinely usable range and the improving charging infrastructure make this car a viable alternative to a conventional luxury SUV.
As a former Auto Express Car of the Year, the XC90 earns a worthy mention thanks to its individual approach. It’s a great seven-seat SUV that offers premium appeal, practicality and a relatively involving drive. This is the car that announced a new era for Volvo.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended