Premium SUV of the Year 2017: Volvo XC60
The Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
Volvo’s XC60 not only edges ahead of last year’s overall Car of the Year, the Jaguar F-Pace, it also tops a brand-new category for 2017. The premium SUV market is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the UK, and Volvo has nailed it with this second-generation XC60.
The Swedish company has scaled down what made the excellent XC90 so amazingly successful and rolled all its know-how into a desirable, well proportioned and practical five-seat SUV body.
As with any Volvo, the XC60 comes loaded with all the latest safety kit, making it a great family car, while the luxurious interior and its raft of advanced equipment gives the SUV premium appeal to rival the likes of the F-Pace, Mercedes GLC and Audi Q5.
The XC60 offers a variety of powertrain options – from the excellent D4 diesel to the T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid. There’s a more powerful D5 and a T5 petrol, too. All cars come with a slick-shifting eight-speed auto gearbox, and four-wheel drive is standard across the range. The engine line-up is also hushed at speed, offering excellent cruising refinement, and while the soft suspension has been tuned for comfort, the XC60 handles well for a mid-size SUV.
But the first thing you’ll notice from behind the wheel is how well built the new car feels compared with its rivals. Volvo has moved the game on with its nine-inch portrait touchscreen, which is offered with tech including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as app connectivity and a 12.3-inch digital dash. There’s even a Bowers & Wilkins stereo on the options list.
It’s not all about the driver, as there’s plenty of room for adults in the back, while the big, square tailgate reveals a 505-litre boot that offers more than enough practicality. The seats fold totally flat, and there’s even a reversible mat that protects the bumper from getting damaged when loading large, heavy items.
The Volvo is our undisputed premium SUV champion, but with updated rivals on the way – including a fresh BMW X3 – it will have its work cut out to stay on top in 2018.
Volvo XC60 D4 Momentum (£37,205)
The XC60 in entry-level Momentum trim comes with all the kit you’ll need, including 18-inch alloy wheels, satellite navigation and cruise control. Plus, as you would expect from Volvo, there’s also an impressive level of safety tech. To smart styling, plenty of practicality and a top-quality cabin, the D4 engine adds power, strong refinement and efficiency, giving the XC60 an attractive list of overall talents.
Last year’s overall Car of the Year only manages a commendation in 2017, but the Jaguar is still a fine premium SUV. It’s spacious, great to drive and has a wide engine range with two gearboxes and rear or four-wheel drive. Sharp styling, a 650-litre boot and plenty of dynamic ability make up for some average cabin quality.
The Mercedes GLC gets a commendation for the second year in a row thanks to its upmarket interior, refined ride and stylish looks. It offers an incredible level of comfort on air suspension, and its spacious cabin will suit families. The ageing 2.1-litre diesel engine lets it down a little, but Mercedes now offers V6 diesels and AMG-tuned twin-turbo petrols, too.
Auto Express New Car Awards 2017
For complete, in-depth coverage of the 2017 New Car Awards, buy your collector's edition copy of the Auto Express magazine now or click here to subscribe...
- 1IntroductionWhat are the best new cars to buy in the UK right now? The 2017 Auto Express New Car Awards reveal all...
- 2Car of the Year 2017The Auto Express Car of the Year for 2017 is the Land Rover Discovery
- 3City Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen up! is the 2017 Auto Express City Car of the Year, with the Kia Picanto and Skoda Citigo commended
- 4Supermini of the Year 2017The SEAT Ibiza is the 2017 Auto Express Supermini of the Year, with the Citroen C3 and Skoda Fabia commended
- 5Compact Family Car of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Golf is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Family Car of the Year, with the Skoda Octavia and Vauxhall Astra commended
- 6Family Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Superb is the 2017 Auto Express Family Car of the Year, with the Toyota Prius and Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport commended
- 7Estate Car of the Year 2017The Skoda Octavia Estate is the 2017 Auto Express Estate Car of the Year, with the BMW 5 Series Touring and Skoda Superb Estate commended
- 8MPV of the Year 2017The Citroen Grand Grand C4 Picasso is the 2017 Auto Express MPV of the Year, with the Renault Grand Scenic and SEAT Alhambra commended
- 9Small SUV of the Year 2017The Citroen C4 Cactus is the 2017 Auto Express Small SUV of the Year, with the Dacia Duster and Peugeot 2008 commended
- 10Mid-size SUV of the Year 2017The Peugeot 3008 is the 2017 Auto Express Mid-size SUV of the Year, with the Mazda CX-5 and SEAT Ateca commended
- 11Large SUV of the Year 2017The Skoda Kodiaq is the 2017 Auto Express Large SUV of the Year, with the Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento commended
- 12Premium SUV of the Year 2017 - currently readingThe Volvo XC60 is the 2017 Auto Express Premium SUV of the Year, with the Jaguar F-Pace and Mercedes GLC commended
- 13Large Premium SUV of the Year 2017The Land Rover Discovery is the 2017 Auto Express Large Premium SUV of the Year, with the Tesla Model X and Volvo XC90 commended
- 14Pick-up of the Year 2017The Mitsubishi L200 is the 2017 Auto Express Pick-up of the Year, with the Fiat Fullback and Nissan Navara commended
- 15Hot Hatch of the Year 2017The Honda Civic Type R is the 2017 Auto Express Hot Hatch of the Year, with the Ford Focus RS and Volkswagen Golf GTI commended
- 16Convertible of the Year 2017The Mercedes C-Class Cabriolet is the 2017 Auto Express Convertible of the Year, with the Audi A3 Cabriolet and MINI Convertible commended
- 17Coupe of the Year 2017The Audi A5 is the 2017 Auto Express Coupe of the Year, with the Audi TT and Porsche 718 Cayman commended
- 18Roadster of the Year 2017The Mazda MX-5 RF is the 2017 Auto Express Roadster of the Year, with the Fiat 124 Spider and Porsche 718 Boxster commended
- 19Performance Car of the Year 2017The Porsche 911 GT3 is the 2017 Auto Express Performance Car of the Year, with the Ferrari 488 GTB and McLaren 720S commended
- 20Compact Executive Car of the Year 2017The Jaguar XE is the 2017 Auto Express Compact Executive Car of the Year, with the Alfa Romeo Giulia and BMW 3 Series commended
- 21Executive Car of the Year 2017The BMW 5 Series is the 2017 Auto Express Executive Car of the Year, with the Mercedes E-Class and Tesla Model S commended
- 22Luxury Car of the Year 2017The Mercedes S-Class is the 2017 Auto Express Luxury Car of the Year, with the Bentley Mulsanne and Porsche Panamera commended
- 23Van of the Year 2017The Volkswagen Crafter is the 2017 Auto Express Van of the Year, with the Ford Transit and Peugeot Expert commended
- 24Electric car of the Year 2017The BMW i3 is the 2017 Auto Express Electric Car of the Year, with the Renault ZOE and Tesla Model S commended
- 25Technology Award 2017BMW wins the Auto Express 2017 Technology Award with its range of electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles and semi-autonomous systems
- 26Car Advertising Campaign of the Year 2017Skoda's 'Driven by Something Different' advert for the new Kodiaq has won the 2017 integrated advertising campaign award
- 27Social Media Campaign of the Year 2017BMW's 'Genius - Live' has won the 2017 Social Media Campaign of the Year
- 28Design Award 2017We asked you what your favourite car design is for 2017, and the Jaguar I-Pace Concept has taken the crown
- 29Driver Power Award 2017Lexus scoops the 2017 Driver Power Award after taking the customer satisfaction survey by storm this year