Used Mercedes CLA (Mk1, 2013-2019) review - What do owners think?
Mercedes continues to slide down our Driver Power satisfaction survey’s makers’ chart, although the CLA scores on safety kit
The Mk1 CLA didn’t feature in our Driver Power customer satisfaction survey, but the platform- sharing A-Class Mk3 appeared in the 2017 and 2018 New Car surveys, placing 69th and 56th respectively. It scored well for its exterior fit and finish, with the only other top 50 scores for running costs and reliability. All other scores, from safety and practicality to engines and infotainment, are outside of the top 50.
In the latest 2021 Driver Power survey, the Mercedes A-Class finished 23rd out of 75 cars, although it’s worth noting that in the vast majority of cases the results are based on the current A-Class.
Mercedes has been performing better since the Mk1 CLA went out of production. In the 2021 Driver Power survey of manufacturers, Mercedes ranked 13th out of 29, so while there’s still room for improvement, the result places the company higher than BMW (21st) and Audi (23rd).
It’s also worth pointing out that the Mk1 CLA scores well on our sister site Carbuyer, with a rating of 4.5 out of 5. Owners rate its styling and value for money.
Overall, perceived quality is very high, but some cost-cutting is evident up close, especially on the inside. There’s an element of ‘paying for the badge’, but the CLA remains a premium product.
In this review
- 1Used Mercedes CLA (Mk1, 2013-2019) reviewThe Mercedes CLA is a sharp-looking four-door variant of the A-Class, and rivals the Audi A3 Saloon
- 2How much will it cost?It’s not the cheapest used saloon you can buy, but the standard equipment justifies the price
- 3How practical is it?The swooping looks impact on the CLA’s practicality, with limited rear headroom and only a moderately sized boot.
- 4What's it like to drive?Diesels are efficient but gruff, while the smoother petrol engines serve up performance ranging from lively to sensational
- 5What should you look out for?Not great results in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys, although the CLA scores on safety kit
- 6What do owners think? - currently readingMercedes continues to slide down our Driver Power satisfaction survey’s makers’ chart, although the CLA scores on safety kit