Used Mercedes CLA (Mk1, 2013-2019) review - What should you look out for?
Not great results in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys, although the CLA scores on safety kit
The CLA shares its underpinnings with the previous version of the Mercedes A-Class, a car that dates back to the end of 2011, so any teething troubles with common components should have been ironed out by now. That said, Mercedes scores poorly in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys, while the CLA isn’t without its faults.
Common used Mercedes CLA problems
Before the facelift in July 2016, diesel CLAs were given a CDI badge. After that cars were sold as 180 d, 200 d and 220 d.
All examples of the CLA come with a tyre sealant kit rather than a spare wheel of any size – the latter isn’t even an optional extra.
18-inch wheels provide as firm a ride as you’re likely to want; the optional 19-inch alloys and sport suspension really are too firm for comfort.
Make sure the filler flap opens as it should. Reports of faulty solenoids and caps that get stuck shut are not unknown.
The CLA has been subject to 25 recalls, most of which also affected other Mercedes. The first two came in July 2014 for loose seatbelt anchors and faulty airbags; the most recent was in February 2019 for calibration of seat sensors for the airbags and belts. In between came recalls for faulty driveshafts, brake servo errors and much more, so do check any potential purchase is up to date.
In this review
- 1Used Mercedes CLA (Mk1, 2013-2019) reviewThe Mercedes CLA is a sharp-looking four-door variant of the A-Class, and rivals the Audi A3 Saloon
- 2How much will it cost?It’s not the cheapest used saloon you can buy, but the standard equipment justifies the price
- 3How practical is it?The swooping looks impact on the CLA’s practicality, with limited rear headroom and only a moderately sized boot.
- 4What's it like to drive?Diesels are efficient but gruff, while the smoother petrol engines serve up performance ranging from lively to sensational
- 5What should you look out for? - currently readingNot great results in our Driver Power satisfaction surveys, although the CLA scores on safety kit
- 6What do owners think? Mercedes continues to slide down our Driver Power satisfaction survey’s makers’ chart, although the CLA scores on safety kit