13. Vauxhall Meriva and Zafira: Little dads
"A joy to watch."
Two neighbours converse while attending to their cars one morning. They chat about their families and brag about the abilities of their people carriers. One: “We had five in here last week.” The other: “We had seven… I’m still finding crumbs.” The twist is that the two are boys talking like men. Just as one family is setting off, the dad gets out of the Meriva and runs back to the house. “Someone hasn’t been to the toilet,” says his son, despairingly. “Typical,” says the boy washing the Zafira.
The expert view
“Playing on the little moments parents wish they’d written down. It feels like the kids are unaware of a camera watching while they’re playing, imitating their parents. A joy to watch.”
- 1IntroductionWe asked you to vote for your favourite TV car adverts of all-time – and now we count down the top 20...
- 2Honda Accord: The Cog
- 3Peugeot 206: The SculptorSomewhere in India, a young guy stares forlornly at his Hindustan Ambassador.
- 4Citroen C4: TransformersA ‘human-shaped’ car – one which has clearly been inspired by the Transformers franchise
- 5Renault Clio: Nicole & PapaFew adverts enter into pop culture in the way this series of Renault Clio adverts did
- 6Fiat Strada: Built by robotsIt shows the Strada’s construction set to a rousing classical soundtrack
- 7VW Golf: Singing in the rain
- 8Toyota GT 86: The real deal"Unique in that so many ads look and feel the same, yet this feels hi-tech and modern"
- 9Peugeot: Take my breathA field of maize spontaneously erupts into flames as a Peugeot 405 drives by and Take My Breath Away, by Berlin, plays in the background.
- 10Vauxhall: Little dads - currently reading"A joy to watch."
- 11Land Rover: Discovery 4A laundrette attendant is left puzzled by a pair of customers - until he sees their car